Is it possible to flash this rx 580 from 4gb to 8gb?

Solution

That article was from right around when the RX 480 first launched a couple years ago, and demand for the 4GB version was high, apparently leading them to reflash some 8GB cards from that initial batch as 4GB to meet demand. It's also worth noting that RAM prices were extremely low at the time. It would have been wasteful for them to continue including unused VRAM though, and I imagine they quit doing so shortly thereafter.

By the time the RX 580 launched the following year, RAM prices were climbing, and I doubt it would have been common for an RX 580 to include additional memory, unless perhaps some of...
Based on that, it must be possible on some cards. You'd have to verify that YOUR specific card actually has 8GB with only 4GB of it unlocked. And, there are significant risks of bricking your card, making it useless. Not worth it IMO especially since their testing only showed improvements in a few titles and the performance gains weren't all that great. Certainly not worth ruining a perfectly good card for.

But, it's your card. If you feel it's worth the risk, then perhaps for you it is.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
amd has been locking ram, and cores for quite a while so yes maybe. however i have heard nothing on unlocking ryzen cores or cache so i am inclined to think not. in adition the 580 is a better manufactured 480 basically so my guess is no but as stated previously the gains arn't so great unless you are gaming at 1440p(on a 580 you shouldn't be), its not common(no support), and there is high risk. so plz dont :)

That article was from right around when the RX 480 first launched a couple years ago, and demand for the 4GB version was high, apparently leading them to reflash some 8GB cards from that initial batch as 4GB to meet demand. It's also worth noting that RAM prices were extremely low at the time. It would have been wasteful for them to continue including unused VRAM though, and I imagine they quit doing so shortly thereafter.

By the time the RX 580 launched the following year, RAM prices were climbing, and I doubt it would have been common for an RX 580 to include additional memory, unless perhaps some of it was found to be defective when testing the card.

Solution

Nobody mentioned anything about unlocking Ryzen cores. We're talking about graphics cards, not CPUs. Ryzen has no relevance to graphics cards. Ryzen is a CPU architecture/platform, not a graphics card architecture.

As I told you in that other thread, keep your comments limited to subjects you actually know about.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

this is spot on. was some 8 gb cards being sold as 4 gb models due to high demand, but that did not last long and i have never heard of any 580 cards having the extra ram disabled on it. it's got 4 gb and you can't add more.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018

my point simply was it seems AMD has stopped this practice.