[SOLVED] Is it possible to force a complete cold boot from a standard restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2021
Good morning,

I am having an issue with a piece of PCI hardware that gets stuck whenever I restart my Windows 10 PC. When I do a full shutdown and then start, the hardware works as intended. I have scoured BIOS and PC settings to figure out what is causing this with no luck. Is there anyway to force windows 10 to fully shutdown and restart when restart is selected?

thanks!

Solution
Create a batch file on your desktop containing: shutdown -r -t 00

When run this will perform a clean shutdown followed immediately by a reboot. The "-t 00" tells the system not to wait the default 30 seconds before shutting down. You can adjust as necessary.

If you prefer to fully shut down then use: shutdown -s -t 00

You don't necessarily need to create batch files for this, you can simply type these on the run line or in a command window. In addition, if you have fast start enabled disable it, especially if you are running from SSD. A clean boot is actually faster in most cases.
Create a batch file on your desktop containing: shutdown -r -t 00

When run this will perform a clean shutdown followed immediately by a reboot. The "-t 00" tells the system not to wait the default 30 seconds before shutting down. You can adjust as necessary.

If you prefer to fully shut down then use: shutdown -s -t 00

You don't necessarily need to create batch files for this, you can simply type these on the run line or in a command window. In addition, if you have fast start enabled disable it, especially if you are running from SSD. A clean boot is actually faster in most cases.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.