Is it possible to force a motherboard to run a cpu if it isnt supported

Oct 1, 2018
Hello guys I m from Turkey, no we don't ride camels, neither we don't speak Arabic first of all.
So thing is we are doing kind of a recycling job, we buy any kind of old hardware from scrap plant which is about to get melted or shipped to other countries. Core2Duo and DualCore computers that used by Bank offices, companies, goverment. Modem and routers, sound sytems, antique stuff from 90's. Sometimes we fınd cool stuff like "I" series of intel. Few times I even encountered Maximus Formula kind of MB 's. Anyway we test the machines, repair if needed and sell them to local computer stores and few stores around country. In last shipment there was good stuff but we also got 150 or more pc s with P4 HT processors and motherboards only supporting P4. LGA775. Well I m no noob, Bios Uptade is unavaible and we don't know what to do at this point. If only I can make them support at least DualCore 2160 that would be enough for finding customers with low expectations. But P4 is scrap even for Turkey. So I m nearly sure it is impossible to force a motherboard to run an unsupported processor but maybe someone knows a way to do that.

First thing to note is the socket has to be 100% hardware compatible, which should be obvious, or you can't even fit the CPU in it.

Back in the day it was sometimes possible in a very a limited way. You could be put later revisions of a processor (Pentium? Pentium2? can't remember exactly) variant in an earlier model board not originally designed for it. While it would work there would usually be problems as the BIOS wouldn't recognize the CPU and therefore would not initialize any feature updates, usually things like MMX or SSE extensions, or at it's correct clock speed. But those were the days you could easily find BIOS mods so the fact that the mfr. didn't provide a BIOS updates for earlier boards wasn't much of a hindrance.

As for more modern hardware it's not generally possible as modern UEFI BIOS usually provides microcode the processor needs to run itself. If you don't have that then even if you have 100% hardware compatibility (it fits right in like it's meant to) it simply won't recognize an unsupported processor.