is it possible to get MSI GS70 laptop without nVidia graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goll

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
MSI GS-70 laptop is the lightest in 17inch segment. But nVidia card generates too much heat and drains the battery fast. So, is it possible to get a customized laptop from MSI? What exactly I want is - all the base configuration with core i5; regular hard drive replaced with a 128gb SSD; no CD/ DVD drive; simple Intel graphics card.

With the above config, I am hoping to get a light-weight laptop, but with 17.3 inch real estate.
Is it possible to get one like that? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

It's a gaming laptop. So for MSI to make a model without a discrete GPU would be insane.

However, fortunately for you, it has NVidia optimus technology. When you buy the laptop, go into the NVidia control panel and set the graphics to integrated only. This will make ALL apps use the intel HD 4600 instead of the GTX 965m/GTX 970M. When the NVidia GPU is not in use, it is powered down completely (not some type of standby mode).

Goll

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

Thanks TechyInAZ for your swift response. However, I won't be using nVidia; CD drive; large hard drives etc. My purpose is to use it for my clinic/ practice. I am not a gamer either. I am a medical doc and need a regular laptop with keyboard, large screen and wi-fi. I use linux and never really used windows in last 5 years. Am not really tech person. Windows is really too cumbersome - so many updates, virus programs what not - hell with it. I had a lot trouble 7 years back; when my dad gave me a new machine with Win Vista. After using it for 14 months, right after warranty expired, I had hell lot of trouble with viruses, updates, hard drive failures and what not. Local repair shop milked us for fixing it.

When I joined medical school I got advise my senior students there on using Linux; purchased a used Dell 17inch Inspiron 3737 model on E-bay. My seniors put Linux for me on that. Never looked back and still the machine is working great all these years; I will be graduating next month and also got a job in a local hospital. While shifting items from medical school, my laptop fell down and broken a bit; but working fine. I had to put lot of tapes to keep it in one peace. It is no longer mobile.

So I am looking for brand new machine since I will be earning. But definitely do not want to go back to stupid windows. I found this forum and trying to see my options. May be I should go for the same Dell inspiron? I called Dell they told me the new 17 inch inspirons will weigh more than BLK m3737 models. So now looking at used machines. Seems 17inch light weight segment is a very narrow.

Goll

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Ok great. Thanks for the info. In fact Toshiba is a more known brand than MSI? and weight is same 5.9 lbs. Amazon has several models and actually going cheaper. But I will get a machine with i5 from Toshiba site itself as the machines can be customized. Then my inspiron is intel core i5; so I will go for i5 only - looking at comparabilities. I really do not need super powerful processor. Also MSI machines are expensive; Toshiba is almost less then half of MSI.

My friends can put linux inside; I really do not require windows at all. We have a version called 'Kubuntu 15.10' which my Inspiron has currently. It only takes 15min to install.

Thanks again, you are saving money; a lot of it!!

No problem, reason why MSI is so expensive is because your paying for a $350 GPU too.

I've used several Linux flavors, Ubuntu (which is what your using) is my favorite. I've used Ubuntu and xubuntu and they are fast. Kubuntu I can imagine is fast too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.