[SOLVED] Is it possible to have 2 modems/routers in home (Same ISP)?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Currently my router is on the 2nd floor and hardwired to my PC, it gives off amazing wireless connectivity due to its location and our open concept.

However, I am redoing and moving my computer to the basement (where it will give off vastly weaker wireless connections). And I have to have my PC hardwired for many reasons.

Is it possible to have two routers/modems on the same ISP? What are my options here?

Solution
Okay well lets pretend I want to leave my wifi (router?) where it is, what can I do as far as getting hardlined ethernet to my PC outside of running a wire to three different stories in my home?
Options:
Ethernet cable. Fast, stable, always works. Obviously more work to ruin the cable(s).
Powerline - this converts and pumps the signal through the house wiring. Success depends a lot on the condition and age of the house wiring
MOCA - Same as powerline, except pumps it through the house coax (if it already exists)

Way down the list - WiFi...:(

Wolfshadw

Titan
You'd have to talk to your ISP, but the one I have (Comcast) wasn't too keen on the idea of having more than one modem. Of course, what you do beyond the modem is up to you. You can have as many routers, switches and access points as you need.

-Wolf sends

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
You'd have to talk to your ISP, but the one I have (Comcast) wasn't too keen on the idea of having more than one modem. Of course, what you do beyond the modem is up to you. You can have as many routers, switches and access points as you need.

-Wolf sends
Okay well lets pretend I want to leave my wifi (router?) where it is, what can I do as far as getting hardlined ethernet to my PC outside of running a wire to three different stories in my home?

USAFRet

Titan
Options:
Ethernet cable. Fast, stable, always works. Obviously more work to ruin the cable(s).
Powerline - this converts and pumps the signal through the house wiring. Success depends a lot on the condition and age of the house wiring
MOCA - Same as powerline, except pumps it through the house coax (if it already exists)

Solution
Although many people will not even consider it you can just run the ethernet on the outside of the house. It should be outdoor cable if you do that. Lets say the ISP would allow 2 connections all they are going to do is install a second wire on the outside of your house. It will run to the telephone pole or whatever but you still have 2 wires drilled though your outside wall. It will be cheaper to just run your own wire between your equipment than to pay a second monthly internet charge.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Options:

Okay can I ask you about MOCA, I've been looking into it a bit but it seems confusing. Some people make it sound like you have to make sure its like the SAME coax (from 2 stories up) for it to work in the basement, or use a "barrel connector" to make it one big coax cable (Idk how to do this). And it seems like a nightmare. But then some videos I watch just show the process of hooking up two adapters to any old coax it seems?

Moca is using the coax cable to send signals very similar to wifi rather than send them through the air. It works best with direct coax cable but that is seldom a option. In general it does work to just hook it to any 2 coax connections. As long as they are somehow connected it will work. How well it works depends on things like how many splitters are in the path and if unused coax connections cause interference. This is one of those things you can not predict. You are best removing any extra coax you not are actually using and replace any splitters with barrel connectors. Moca though is designed to coexist with say television on the same meida so it generally work fine even with lots of extra stuff connected to the coax.