Is it possible to have 2 Operating Systems booted at the same time. 2nd being live from USB stick?

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Is it possible to have 2 Operating Systems booted at the same time. 2nd being live from USB stick?

Say main OS being Linux, and then you switch to a "Bootable USB Tails" for some tasks, and return to main OS when you want; without having to restart.

Is this technically possible with 1 laptop only? Is there a software, technology or peripheral device allowing this?

This is for work or banking sensitive data, where i want to avoid being monitored on main Linux. Thus usage of virtualization is redundant as if my screens get monitored so does VMware usage, for example...

Last edited:

Say main OS being Linux, and then you switch to a bootable USB OS for some tasks and return to main OS when you want; without having to restart.

Is this technically possible with 1 laptop only? Is there a software, technology or peripheral device allowing this?
You can do that if you have a virtual machine setup on the laptop. You would say boot into Windows and start Hyper-V (if you have Win Pro or higher) or VMware Workstation Player to boot the 2nd OS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You could certainly run a virtual machine. That isn't really the same thing as running two OS at the same time, more like one OS reserving a section of resources to host another.

Probably wouldn't be all that practical to use a bootable USB. VM tools will use an image file to reserve the space you assign to a VM.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
You can do that if you have a virtual machine setup on the laptop. You would say boot into Windows and start Hyper-V (if you have Win Pro or higher) or VMware Workstation Player to boot the 2nd OS.
You could certainly run a virtual machine. That isn't really the same thing as running two OS at the same time, more like one OS reserving a section of resources to host another.

Probably wouldn't be all that practical to use a bootable USB. VM tools will use an image file to reserve the space you assign to a VM.

This is for work or banking sensitive data, where i want to avoid my activity being monitored on main Linux. Thus usage of virtualization is redundant as if my screens get monitored so does what i do on VMware , for example...

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Then you should get a separate machine.

Sure. I can get a 2nd machine.

Hibernating and powering on the machine works!
But then i get to bitlocker, and have to reboot again before i am back at main OS.
It's time consuming.

Another solution is a 2nd machine, right?
Can achieve what i want with a PC Stick?
But how to switch between the laptop and the PC Stick with the the same external monitors, mouse and keyboard?
Or i will need duplicate of everything?

If this is the case it's better to get a 2nd laptop.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
2 OSs at the same time?
As noted above, only with a VM.

Not possible on native hardware.

You want this in relation to banking?
What leads you to believe your system is being monitored like that?

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
2 OSs at the same time?
As noted above, only with a VM.

Not possible on native hardware.

You want this in relation to banking?
What leads you to believe your system is being monitored like that?

Windows 10 itself is a backdoor and spying tool. Many people aren't aware of that...
One of the reasons i'm moving to Linux.
I now take security and privacy much more seriously, after being hacked in the past, etc. And i do not trust Windows at all!

Hibernating and powering on the machine works!
But then i get to bitlocker, and have to reboot again before i am back at main OS.
It's time consuming.

Another solution is a 2nd machine, right?
Can achieve what i want with a PC Stick?
But how to switch between the laptop and the PC Stick with the the same external monitors, mouse and keyboard?
Or i will need duplicate of everything?

If this is the case it's better to get a 2nd laptop.

This is for work or banking sensitive data, where i want to avoid my activity being monitored on main Linux. Thus usage of virtualization is redundant as if my screens get monitored so does what i do on VMware , for example...
Well and how would controlling the second OS from your main OS be different from that?!
You either boot into a separate OS or everything you do in that OS is the same amount of monitorable.
Even if it where possible I mean.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 10 itself is a backdoor and spying tool. Many people aren't aware of that...
Which is no worse than Win 7/8, or Apple.
And far less intrusive than your cell phone, electric car, etc, etc.

Win 10 does not screengrab your system, nor does it (like many people have said) send all your keystrokes to the mothership.

If you have evidence otherwise, please share.

But moving off Windows is not a problem. Go for it with Linux.
If you're going all in with Linux, why the need for this dual thing?

But, you can't just switch back and forth between OS's like you propose.
You'd have to actually restart and reboot into the desired OS.
Windows on an internal drive, linux on a flash drive.

You can get an intel compute stick, those are mini x86 systems in a usb flash size that need a HDMI input device (your PC monitor or a TV) and you can run anything you want on it you just need a usb keyboard or mouse or combo to control it.

There are cheap android based sticks but those only run android as far as I know.

As mentioned VMs are an option, maybe even with a hypervisor so that they can practically can parallel permanently. The other option would be to reboot onto the other system. Which might as well be a live system running from a flashdrive or CD/DVD. The latter even has the benefit that it can't be written to, so any suspicious process would be unable to modify data. The downside is obviously that updates also can't be written, be it OS or virus database updates.

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Which is no worse than Win 7/8, or Apple.
And far less intrusive than your cell phone, electric car, etc, etc.

Win 10 does not screengrab your system, nor does it (like many people have said) send all your keystrokes to the mothership.

If you have evidence otherwise, please share.

But moving off Windows is not a problem. Go for it with Linux.
If you're going all in with Linux, why the need for this dual thing?

But, you can't just switch back and forth between OS's like you propose.
You'd have to actually restart and reboot into the desired OS.
Windows on an internal drive, linux on a flash drive.

I've heard it's possible with a KVM Switch. 1 laptop. 1 mini tower for i.e.

You can get an intel compute stick, those are mini x86 systems in a usb flash size that need a HDMI input device (your PC monitor or a TV) and you can run anything you want on it you just need a usb keyboard or mouse or combo to control it.

There are cheap android based sticks but those only run android as far as I know.

I am looking for a way to switch between 2 OS's, with the same monitors, keyboard and mouse :)

As mentioned VMs are an option, maybe even with a hypervisor so that they can practically can parallel permanently. The other option would be to reboot onto the other system. Which might as well be a live system running from a flashdrive or CD/DVD. The latter even has the benefit that it can't be written to, so any suspicious process would be unable to modify data. The downside is obviously that updates also can't be written, be it OS or virus database updates.

What you have said is already what i've done. I have a Linux on a USB.
I dont need to reboot. I can just hibernate and turn the power on and i get to the boot screen and get the Live OS.
The issue is the time it takes to do this.
I want to be able to switch all the time i want to.

Seems like a KVM Switch. 1 laptop. 1 mini tower is the way to go.

The purpose of an operating system is the manage the resources of the hardware.
There can be only one operating system in control.
A virtual machine operating system allows you to simulate several different operating systems.

If you are sufficiently paranoid, do not connect to the internet.
And, for that matter shield the whole thing is a radiation emission protected room.

TRENDING THREADS