[SOLVED] Is it possible to have a wireless server?

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
So I got a new computer a few months back and I decided to get my old PC fixed. I plan on using it as a server PC and hosting a Minecraft server and a discord bot on it. Sadly it will be in my basement far away from my modem and router. I have around 60 mbps wireless I am just worride that it will not provide a good connection for the people on the minecraft server (I am pretty sure the Discord bot should be fine.) I live in a 150 year old house and the basement is solid stone meaning that may mess with wireless signal. I don't really have anywhere else to put the server. What should I do? And will placing it in my basement actually work? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Wireless can work, not ideal, It mostly depends on the wireless adaptor, how good the wireless is on the router, and signal strength.

I use to use my server wireless with my Asus PCE-AC88 adaptor with a Nighthawk router, and it was nearly as good as being hooked up wired for file transfers. Though my server is too slow for hosting any games, so I haven't tried it with anything that needs constant updates like running a game server.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Can you have a server that connects wirelessly to your network/router? Yes.

Its effectiveness will be dependent on how well it connects to your network. How many people do you expect to connect to your server at any given time?

A powerline network adapter might be better in your situation. Something to consider.

Wireless can work, not ideal, It mostly depends on the wireless adaptor, how good the wireless is on the router, and signal strength.

I use to use my server wireless with my Asus PCE-AC88 adaptor with a Nighthawk router, and it was nearly as good as being hooked up wired for file transfers. Though my server is too slow for hosting any games, so I haven't tried it with anything that needs constant updates like running a game server.

Solution

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

After some discussion I have got a 40ft Ethernet cable so it will be wired :)