Question Is it possible to install an OS via an USB to SSD connector?

Feb 12, 2019
I have a Blue Skull 17544-1 motherboard (it has three HDD slots and one SSD slot)
I had a 1TB WD Blue SSD (M.2 2280) and a random HDD that came with the prebuilt PC

The SSD failed and my OS (Windows 10) was installed on it.
So, I bought a new SSD from the same company but with less storage since I didn't feel like spending serious cash on an older pc.
The new SSD is a 250 WD Blue SSD (M.2 2280)

When I replaced my dead SSD with my new one, my monitor no longer picks up any display from my PC.
So I don't have access to BIOS or my bootable Windows 10 USB when the SSD is plugged into my PC. Meaning I can't install windows on it the normal way.
A lot of the work arounds seem to involve formatting my HDD and installing Windows 10 on that, then installing Windows onto my SSD from there.
However, I don't want to lose the data on my HDD.

I have a SSD to USB flash drive that I used to see if I could recover data from my dead SSD.
So I'm wondering if it's possible to plug my new SSD into a laptop via the USB port and install Windows onto it from there.

Thank you for your time, Jason

Feb 12, 2019
Well, that needs to be "fixed" first.

We need a FULL parts list of this system.
Make/model of everything.
Motherboard: Blue Skull 17544-1

failed/dead SSD: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280
new SSD: Western Digital 250GB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280

graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
processor: i7-8700
ram: Dell Memory Upgrade - 8GB - 1RX8 DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz (two of them)
PSU: 460 Watt Power Supply Unit

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
Put the nvme 2280 drive into the slot, disconnect all other drives and install using a USB stick with windows installation on created via the microsoft media creation tool, let us know how it goes.