[SOLVED] Is it possible to install via an external HDD?

Apr 10, 2021
Hi all,

I have an external HDD that connects via USB with the windows 10 installation files on. I was wondering will I be able to use this rather than a flash drive to install Windows onto my new PC or does it have to be flash?

Solution
I just followed this guide to download the installation files to it -
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/install-windows-10.html

The reason I'm asking is my pc hasn't arrived yet, and as I have no flash drive wasn't sure if I needed to order one rather than waiting for the PC to come and realising it won't install from the HDD.
If you selected "USB flash drive", then all should be OK.

Some things badly wrong with their write up, though.
"In fact, what you are buying is a license code to activate Windows 10. Anyone can download and use Windows 10 for 30 days, but for permanent access, a license is required. "
The '30 day' thing is not correct.
Yes, you DO need a valid license to activate it. But there is no...
Apr 10, 2021

USAFRet

Titan
I just followed this guide to download the installation files to it -
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/install-windows-10.html

The reason I'm asking is my pc hasn't arrived yet, and as I have no flash drive wasn't sure if I needed to order one rather than waiting for the PC to come and realising it won't install from the HDD.
If you selected "USB flash drive", then all should be OK.

Some things badly wrong with their write up, though.
"In fact, what you are buying is a license code to activate Windows 10. Anyone can download and use Windows 10 for 30 days, but for permanent access, a license is required. "
The '30 day' thing is not correct.
Yes, you DO need a valid license to activate it. But there is no '30 day thing. That used to be the case with Win 8.1 and earlier.
The limitations for an Unactivated Win 10 start on Day 1. But it will run that way forever, it seems.

Here is a better writeup on installing Win 10.

Reactions: anderton46
Solution