Is it possible to install Windows 7 on a preloaded Windows 8?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hello guys!
I would really like to install Windows 7 on my preloaded Windows 8 since i like Windows 7 a lot better..
I have a licensed key for Windows 7, so for that part it's no problem..My main issue is that IF i want to return to Windows 8/10 in the near future, am i screwed if i want to return to W8/10 since the product key is "overwritten" to Windows 7 and not my OEM key?

Or do i have to purchase a licensed key for Windows 8 to return again?

Solution
Win 10 is only version so far that deletes your previous licence if you upgraded to it. If you record your current win 8 licence key somewhere safe and then install win 7, you can always reinstall win 8 on PC again using the win 8 key. They don't over write anything.

If you ever put Win 10 on PC, you don't have to worry about its licence as the details for it are held on Microsoft servers. If you install win 10 on a PC, Win 10 will look on an activation server and see if the details of PC are recorded there. If you had win 10 on PC already, it will find it and activate PC for you.

Does it have win 7 drivers? Best look before jumping. Does it have multiple USB 2 slots? win 7 doesn't know what USB 3 is without drivers, so need to have...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 is only version so far that deletes your previous licence if you upgraded to it. If you record your current win 8 licence key somewhere safe and then install win 7, you can always reinstall win 8 on PC again using the win 8 key. They don't over write anything.

If you ever put Win 10 on PC, you don't have to worry about its licence as the details for it are held on Microsoft servers. If you install win 10 on a PC, Win 10 will look on an activation server and see if the details of PC are recorded there. If you had win 10 on PC already, it will find it and activate PC for you.

Does it have win 7 drivers? Best look before jumping. Does it have multiple USB 2 slots? win 7 doesn't know what USB 3 is without drivers, so need to have USB 2 slots for kb/mouse and installer. What I would do is format the hdd before installing win 7 (mainly as its likely to be formatted as GPT and Win 7 needs MBR) and create a partition on drive that has all the drivers you need to install win 7 on PC. USB drivers really help make this easier, as do lan drivers.

Solution

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Wait Windows 10 deletes my previous license? :O
I am in Windows 10 right now, but my laptop was preloaded with Windows 8..

I remember that i upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (just to try it out), and then a few days later went back to Windows 8.1 since i didn't like Windows 10 that much...
Then a few months later my PC somehow upgraded and installed Windows 10 again, after that i didn't care if i had Windows 10, because i didn't want to start to reinstall the drivers etc all over again...

Can't i return to Windows 8 by using the "windows 8 media creation tool" like i did when i went back from Windows 10 to Windows 8? And from there record my license key and after that install Windows 7? :(

Hmm i believe it have Win 7 drivers, my laptop is ASUS X550C and according to this site: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X550CC/HelpDesk_Download/
It have Windows 7 drivers :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you upgraded to win 10 and left it on PC for more than one month, it became a win 10 licence. That was price of the upgrade, it wasn't free, it cost you your licence. That was case for all of us who upgraded.

So you can install win 7 on it since you have a separate key for win 7, and your PC can always have win 10 put on it again after that. You could dual boot them if you wanted to (note, need to put 7 on first and then 10, other way around won't work).

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Wow i didn't know about that one month thing =O
So if i use that media tool for Windows 8 thing again, it won't work at all?

And if i want Windows 10 again i don't need to record or save the license key, it will automatically recognize the license key even if i deleted the partition and made a clean installation for W7? I have already made a disc using the Media creation tool (yea i know, im nagging about it), but will that be enough if i want to return to Windows 10?

Instead of Windows 10 i really want to return to Windows 8, if i update my OS from Windows 7 :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your Win 8 licence became a Win 10 licence - it wasn't deleted, it was transformed. The installer won't help you.

When you upgraded to win 10, a record of your old win 8 licence + details of PC were saved on a Microsoft server. If you ever reinstall win 10 on PC again, the install will consult with the Microsoft server and decide your PC is eligible for activation. You can get a brand new drive and flash bios and PC will still be eligible for win 10. Provided CPU & Motherboard are the same, it should reactivate.

Win 8 would require a new licence for you to return to it.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

So it's "safe" for me to just install Windows 7 without having to save my license key for Windows 10? :D