Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?

Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?
Just wondered.

Greg Ro

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:00:09 -0500, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com>
wrote:

>Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb

I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
It can be installed to ram.

Greg Ro

> Nope, the largest that a ram drive can be is 32 mb

I found that out when I was once trying to make one. Is there any way to get
a bigger one? Curious

> I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
> It can be installed to ram.

It could be the different kernel.

Greg Ro <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in news:eZxffT#pFHA.3404
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Is it possible to install windows 98 or 95 into ram drive?
> Just wondered.
>
> Greg Ro

No. You can create a windows installation which will run from ramdrive, but
you can't install on it. Windows will reboot a few times during
installation, and empty the ramdrive.
Information on creating this installation:
<http://www.lachiesadicristo.it/w98cd/page1.htm>

<http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html>

> <http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html>

Thanx, could you give me a description and instructions? It seems rather
cloudy.

"jkb" <nospam> wrote in news:edDvAD$pFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

>> <http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/4825.html>
>
> Thanx, could you give me a description and instructions? It seems rather
> cloudy.

Download and unzip the tool. Copy xmsdsk.exe to C:\Windows\Command (or any
other place) Add the line
devicehigh=C:\Windows\Command\xmsdsk.exe 100000

to C:\config.sys. This will create a ramdisk of 100000 kb.

> Download and unzip the tool. Copy xmsdsk.exe to C:\Windows\Command (or any
> other place) Add the line
> devicehigh=C:\Windows\Command\xmsdsk.exe 100000
>
> to C:\config.sys. This will create a ramdisk of 100000 kb.

Thanx again. Is this program reliable and trustworthy?

jkb wrote:
>>I wonder how come Linux can do that using a live cd?
>>It can be installed to ram.
>

> It could be the different kernel.

Different aproach to working multiuser system.
Anything (anything?) can be configured without rebooting and stopping
other users work. (Not the PC (_Personal_ Computer) style;^).

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.