[SOLVED] Is it possible to lower CPU idle temps using Intel's extreme tuning utility?

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys. I know this might be a stupid question, but I have very limited knowledge in this particular aspect. Please help me.

This is my set up:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming
Memory: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital WDC (SATA )
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB
PSU: EVGA 850 G2 80 Plus Gold

So, long story short. I know I have a CPU designed for overclocking, but what I want to do is the exact opposite for the sake of lowering my idle temps a couple of degrees. Right now I am sitting at around 38-40 degrees celsius. Would it be possible to configure my CPU using Intel's extreme tuning utility in a way that gave me lower idle temps while using its full potential when the situation calls for it? Technically, I would like to undervolt my CPU if that makes sense. I know the term vcore offset exists, but I would be lying to you if I told you that I know what that really means. As you can see, I am pretty lost, but I promise I am a fast learner. Assuming it were possible:

1.-Would it hurt my CPU?
2.-Would I see a meaningful decrease in idle temps? (I mean, would it be worth it?)

I'm pretty sure there must be tons of things I am not even considering, but I would really appreciate if you could share some of your experience with me.

Sincerely;
Paul

Solution
First, I would not start undervolting for 38-40C idle temperatures.

Next, read through THIS cooling guide.

That might minimally impact your idle temperatures (but decrease performance), the easiest way to lower idle temps is to (1) insure adequate case ventilation and run HSF fan idle speed faster, (2) lower the ambient temperature, or (3) get a big AIO.

Set the cooling profile in the bios to full speed and check the result. This could also require more case fans, giving the computer more open space around it, or even getting higher CFM fans (with the downside of more noise).

RealBeast

Titan

That might minimally impact your idle temperatures (but decrease performance), the easiest way to lower idle temps is to (1) insure adequate case ventilation and run HSF fan idle speed faster, (2) lower the ambient temperature, or (3) get a big AIO.

Set the cooling profile in the bios to full speed and check the result. This could also require more case fans, giving the computer more open space around it, or even getting higher CFM fans (with the downside of more noise).

Reactions: sammael1984
Solution

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015

Hey, RealBeast;

I have been reading the information you suggested. I think it is really interesting. I will definitely work in improving my case airflow, and I will also look into some solid AIO coolers. I have always been afraid of mixing water with PC components. I'm a little clumsy, and I fear I can damage my stuff. I will study how those work and how easy or simple it is to install and maintain one.

Thanks, man.

What is your ambient temperature?
A good idle temperature is in the 10-15c. over ambient range.
I see nothing at all wrong with your idle temperatures.

If anything, you want to control the Max temperatures.

When you overclock to however high you can, then back off a notch and implement speedstep and adaptive voltage.
That will reduce the multiplier and voltage when the cpu has little to do.
Overclock via the bios multiplier.
Automated oc processes can be overly aggressive.

On aio coolers, realize that they are really air coolers.
The difference is where the radiator heat exchange takes place.
You now have an outstanding air cooler.
To cool any better, you would need a 360 aio cooler which will be expensive.

Reactions: sammael1984