[SOLVED] Is it possible to migrate programs to a new OS on the same computer?

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
My problem is that I am attempting to fix a friends computer that has a corrupt registry. I have spent days on it already running disk check, sfc, MBR commands, etc. To no avail. The computer recognizes there are files on the drive but cant boot into windows. The closest to normal result I got out of it was it loaded the windows 7 loading logo then afterwards gave me a black screen with a mouse. I was never able to even see a login screen, and no combinations of button pressing or waiting yields any results. I am confident that a clean install of windows would fix the problem but it is important that the computer still has the same working programs and documents on it.
Is it possible to partition the hard drive in CMD from windows 7 boot media, install it to a new partition, and then copy the program files and documents over while keeping program functionality? I know simply copying the folders would do nothing for the programs, but is there something I could do to make the programs work?

Solution
Is it possible to partition the hard drive in CMD from windows 7 boot media, install it to a new partition, and then copy the program files and documents over while keeping program functionality?

Files, yes.
Programs/applications, no.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
when you get a black screen with a mouse, CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the task manager, from task manager you can go to file, run, in the box type explorer.exe and hit enter.
explorer is the shell, the GUI and when it crashes at boot you get a black screen with a mouse. launching explorer.exe from the task manager should get the icons and desktop back so you can further troubleshoot, however in my experience with windows 7 its better to backup the files, wipe, and re-install everything.

you cannot simply copy the programs, they will not work. you will need to install the programs - SAME VERSION- to the new OS, which will edit the registry and allow the programs to run AFTER you copy the programs folders to the new drive, which will preserve the program settings, all of the program folders. this will require having the original installation versions of each program, or updating the programs to the same version that was installed before overwriting with the old files.

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
when you get a black screen with a mouse, CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the task manager, from task manager you can go to file, run, in the box type explorer.exe and hit enter.
explorer is the shell, the GUI and when it crashes at boot you get a black screen with a mouse. launching explorer.exe from the task manager should get the icons and desktop back so you can further troubleshoot, however in my experience with windows 7 its better to backup the files, wipe, and re-install everything.

you cannot simply copy the programs, they will not work. you will need to install the programs - SAME VERSION- to the new OS, which will edit the registry and allow the programs to run AFTER you copy the programs folders to the new drive, which will preserve the program settings, all of the program folders. this will require having the original installation versions of each program, or updating the programs to the same version that was installed before overwriting with the old files.
I said no combination of buttons does anything for me at the black screen. Same goes for control alt delete.