Is it possible to move OEM Windows 7 to new SSD from an old Hard Drive?

Toby Anderson

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I know this question must have been asked a million times before, and I have looked for answers similar to mine, but there are none that I can find in he similar situation I am in. I need to know if I can take Windows 7 Home Premium OEM from my old laptop hard drive and buy a new SSD and move windows onto the SSD through either a system image or cloning device? I have the product key and all the necessary information, but I obviously don't have an install CD. The motherboard will be kept. I was just wondering if it's possible to do this procedure without having to buy a new Windows key.
Thanks!

Solution

Buy an cloning kit from best buy or amazon and be sure it comes with software to clone to ssd, My dad did the same thing and it went...
Hi

I read that Microsoft withdrew windows isos from Digital River AND now only allow download of retail versions after imputing your retail key

Advice
Run hard disk diagnostics on the old hard drive
Then chkdsk
Then run disk cleanup to make as much free space as possible
Then run partition management program running on bootable disk
Gparted is a useful Linux disk image
Make old c: partition about same size as new ssd
Then clone old drive to new ssd

Then make a few changes to optimise windows for ssd

Regards
Mike Barnes

ArAnd0mPers0n

Reputable
May 8, 2015

Buy an cloning kit from best buy or amazon and be sure it comes with software to clone to ssd, My dad did the same thing and it went well

Solution