Is it possible to move the Appdata default location & Temp files without 'sysprep' re-instalation of Windows?

twick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I have an issue with After Effects, Nuke, and other advanced media programs that store information in 'Appdata' and 'Temp files'. From my understanding, it is necessary to move your default location of these directories using 'sysprep' upon OS installation. The drawbacks are having to re-instal my operating system and an inability to use Metro apps (last I checked).

Is there any way around re-installing windows? And does anyone have good documents on how to properly set this up if not?

Thanks so much.

Solution
If you have a copy of Win8 from an old system, it will be a paint to get a DVD.

Windows 7 DVD isos are easy to come by for now(get it only from links that point to digital river as that is the location MS and many other companies store software[a nice untouched copy].).

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

You may be able to do this with a Windows 7 install disk as well since junctions are an NTFS feature not a feature of each version of Windows.

I would go as far as to guess it may even work on another system with Win7, but I have not personally tested it like that.

I actually started to use junctions to move games and programs from ssd -> hdd and hdd -> ssd. I also use symlinks to have...

twick

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Awesome find, looks very promising as the issue is windows defaulting to C directories even though the default location of my users and documents are D/ect...

It mentions 1. Boot with the Win7 Install DVD, choose language, currency and keyboard, and hit Next.

Is this is a step where I would need to burn a .iso dvd or bootable iso Flashdrive? Or something that loads up. I know in windows 8 they have some pretty intuitive recovery options (that I haven't used yet). Maybe it will have a download option like MAC does? (but I doubt it because MAC registers OS's to AppleID's to download)

If you have a copy of Win8 from an old system, it will be a paint to get a DVD.

Windows 7 DVD isos are easy to come by for now(get it only from links that point to digital river as that is the location MS and many other companies store software[a nice untouched copy].).

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

You may be able to do this with a Windows 7 install disk as well since junctions are an NTFS feature not a feature of each version of Windows.

I would go as far as to guess it may even work on another system with Win7, but I have not personally tested it like that.

I actually started to use junctions to move games and programs from ssd -> hdd and hdd -> ssd. I also use symlinks to have all my files like documents/desktop/videos/pictures/downloads ect on another system.

Solution