[SOLVED] Is it possible to OC 75Hz widescreen panel to 100Hz?

eb123

Reputable
May 3, 2015
Hey everyone, as the title indicates I'm interested in knowing whether a 75Hz panel could be overclocked to 100Hz. I haven't purchased the monitor yet but I plan to add it to my future build that includes a 3900X and a 5700XT. I know I could go for a 1440P panel but due to a variety of reasons I will likely end up adding the LG 34UM69G-B 75Hz monitor to my build.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. It would be awesome if the monitor went up to 100FPS during games without me having to spend a ton of money on a monitor with 120-144Hz from the start.

Solution
It might, something you will have to test. Some of the '100hz' panels out there are 75hz native and are running a factory overclocked mode. But you can assume they've binned and tested the panels beforehand.

I've seen people push 75hz to 92hz, but not really something I have ever tried out myself. Every panel and scaler is a little different in what it can handle, just like anything else you want to overclock.

Would take a bit more research on any particular model. Find out the panel inside of it and see what products it ended up in.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It might, something you will have to test. Some of the '100hz' panels out there are 75hz native and are running a factory overclocked mode. But you can assume they've binned and tested the panels beforehand.

I've seen people push 75hz to 92hz, but not really something I have ever tried out myself. Every panel and scaler is a little different in what it can handle, just like anything else you want to overclock.

Would take a bit more research on any particular model. Find out the panel inside of it and see what products it ended up in.

Solution

eb123

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Thanks, I really appreciate your response. At worst, what would happen to the monitor if it gets pushed to the limit in terms of clock speed or would that still depend on the specific monitor?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As far as I know it is all software tools used these days, if it goes out of range or starts glitching out you can just lower the refresh rate back down.

I'm not sure at what point physical damage might occur, I don't really know enough about the circuitry involved to say, so it might never be an issue. But you never know, some components react strangely outside of their specified operation.