[SOLVED] Is it possible to OC RAM and buy another stick with the same OCed speed

shayaviv1000

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
I have a Kingston DDR 4 2133Hz 8GB and I can’t find another stick with 2133Hz in my area, so I thought that if I overclock my current stick 2400Hz I could buy another stick that has 2400Hz NOT overclocked. I have 8GB and I want 8GB more so that I will Have enough RAM to play GTA 5. By the way I have a few questions: GTA 5 is lagging on my computer, and when I check the task manager in order to try and find what causes the problem, I see that it is NOT the RAM, but the CPU that is fully used 100%. GTA 5 uses about 2GB of my 8GB RAM. I have Intel Core i5 6500 3.2Ghz and I don’t know much about what are Hertz and how they work. Should I overclock my CPU in this case and see if that is what causes the problem before I buy another RAM stick? Will overclocking anything hurt my computer? And, GTA 5’s recommended requirements say 8GB RAM. Does it mean that the computer must have 8GB or that GTA 5 uses 8GB? God bless whoever reads this and answers, you might just end my problems!

Solution

When game's requirements say that it requires 8GB, it means that the game suggests for you to have at least 8GB installed in the system, not that the game itself will be using 8GB. Also, that's the game's "recommended" requirements, while the "minimum" requirements for GTA V are only 4GB. So, your existing 8GB will likely be plenty for that game, and for most games for the time being.

What kind of video card do you have in that system? I'm just wondering if that might be what's limiting your performance.
First of all I don't think mixing RAM is a good idea, and over clocking mixed RAM is a bad idea, and overclocking RAM beyond is rating is also a bad idea so I think you are asking for problems.

As far as overclocking, don't do it unless you know what you are doing or you can damage things.

I think an option you might consider is upgrading the CPU or your GPU depending on what that is.

When game's requirements say that it requires 8GB, it means that the game suggests for you to have at least 8GB installed in the system, not that the game itself will be using 8GB. Also, that's the game's "recommended" requirements, while the "minimum" requirements for GTA V are only 4GB. So, your existing 8GB will likely be plenty for that game, and for most games for the time being.

What kind of video card do you have in that system? I'm just wondering if that might be what's limiting your performance.

Solution

shayaviv1000

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB

TRENDING THREADS