Is it possible to overload motherboard's USB controllers?

Tamaskan

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
So I have an Asus ROG maximus viii ranger(skylake/z170) motherboard which I connect a number of devices via USB. Sometimes I get issues with devices not detected but it is mostly my mouse or keyboard (Corsair ones, maybe because of the high polling rate?) after restart/turning on. But if I unplug and replug it works again. If I buy an extension PCIe USB 3.0 card, would that possibly fix the issue? I believe my motherboard has 2 usb controllers, the normal one for the black and blue usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 and anther one for usb 3.1 slots (red coloured, and usb c).

The things that I have connected via USB to the PC are:
  • keyboard
    mouse
    bluetooth dongle
    Cyberpower UPS
    Wireless headset
    Steam controller
    GOverlay display
    Usb Mic
    External SSD
    Corsair AIO liquid cooler (for light and fan curve)
    Corsair PSU (mostly to monitor power usage, force fan on, check temps)
    Corsair Commander for fan controls, rgb lighting

I honestly think its not that many but who knows. I know its not the mouse because I had one with a button issue and that got replaced and it still have same issue. The keyboard most of the time gets detected but quite slowly. I don't use fastboot too.

Solution
You could try disconnecting several USB devices and see if the issue goes away.
Alternate the devices and see if its a faulty device or a USB power issue
It could happen, if the motherboard is faulty, if there is a bad USB port, if you are drawing more power than the USB can deliver and if a PSU could no provide reliable power to the motherboard.
If too much power is drawn from motherboard, the system shuts down to protect itself or the USB port/bus is disabled and you may see a Windows power surge warning.
Have you considered a powered USB hub?

Tamaskan

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

hmmm nope havent tried the powered usb hub, I tried different ports(switching them around), tried the mouse on the red usb3.1, blue usb 3.0 and black usb 2.0 and they have this issue occasionally but its starting to annoy me so yeah thats why I am looking for a solution. Honestly its sounding like the mouse issue itself but doesn't seem people have this problem and it got replaced with a new unit. Also, I doubt its the PSU as it is the Corsair RM750i and I think 750w its more than enough for my system, i5-6600k + gtx 1080. Based on the corsair software and my UPS, I think at most in load (playing games) its around 400w usage.

But I might try the powered usb hub, but a mouse shouldn't have a high power draw issue would it? Because if that's the case, the keyboard which have a lot more leds is less of a problem(it gets detected late but it's there) than the mice.

TRENDING THREADS