Question Is it possible to power 2-pin LED strip with 4-pin LED connector ?

Dominik666-69

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Hey ! So I happen to have an old LED strip lying around that uses 2 connectors to connect, and I'm wondering if I can somehow hook that up to my current 2 LED strips that are 4-pin RGB LEDs. What I thought I could do is just split one of the 4-pin connectors and just connect 2 of the wires to the 2-pin LED strip. However I'm not entirely sure if that would even work since the 2-pin connector needs power and ground (as far as I know) and I can't really find the ground on the 4-pin connectors. If anyone's done anything similiar to this, or has a more general knowledge about doing something like that, I'd appreciate your help !

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I can't really find the ground on the 4-pin connectors

Pinout:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - G (green color)
pin #3 - R (red color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

Edit: bring out holy bible of PCs (aka your MoBo manual) and read it from there, at which side the +12V pin is (top, bottom, left or right). Since 4-pin RGB connector can be placed on many ways on a MoBo.

the 2-pin connector needs power and ground

Can you look if it needs 12V or 5V? Since if it needs 5V, you'd be frying it by overvolting.

Edit: Picture of it, especially connector and any labels/markings on it would help.

Dominik666-69

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Added some edits to my previous reply.
Thanks ! It's actually not meant to be connected in pc, but just generally somewhere. You can see the type of 4-pin connector I have going out of the LED controller (1st img), and the LED strip I would like to hook to it. The LED strip is a 12V one, I've tested it some time ago.
sYNF0lV.png

rMDb6qP.jpg
kZqDBED.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You can see the type of 4-pin connector I have going out of the LED controller (1st img), and the LED strip I would like to hook to it.

Arrow points to the +12V pin.

Though, since your LED strip needs only +12V and ground, you could get the power from internal fan header as well, which are:

3-pin:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - ground
pin #3 - sense (RPM feed back to the MoBo)

4-pin:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - ground
pin #3 - sense (RPM feed back to the MoBo)
pin #4 - PWM (PWM control for 4-pin fans)