Is it possible to raise the max resolution?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
i noticed in the catalyst control center that there is an option called "My VGA Display".

In it i saw "Monitor Attributes"
with something checked ON ("Use Extended display identification data (EDID) or driver defaults").

i unchecked it and noticed that now, i could set my on Max resolution.

Is it a good idea to raise the max resolution to 1920x1080 (original 1600x1200).

or is this a bad idea?
if someone could explain this to me, that would be great

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

i can't access the monitor menu anymore, it's blocked and i can't unblock it, something wrong with buttons, (it's been this way for a long time).
the monitor always does a auto adjustment when the resolution is changed.

i just reinstalled CCC 10 hours ago, the only changes i made where the 2 things i mentioned on this thread and calibrated the color of both screen.

also i don't know where the scaling option is, let alone know if i even have one.
to you know where it is located for a VGA display or does it not matter anymore?

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Overscan is only for digital connections, so you won't see that option for VGA.

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

so what can i do to make my screen fit in my monitor?

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

I accidentally clicked solved, My problem isn't solved yet.

to answer your question that was the first thing i tried doing, but my max is now 1600x1200 i can't go higher than that.
unless i use the method mentioned my starting post above.

AGAIN THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED, I ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED SOLVED.
HOW DO I UNDO THIS MISTAKE, Could i mod set this as UNSOLVED?

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

believe if i knew, i would have fixed it.
but for some reason the unlock button (which is also the screen off and on button) doesn't work.

and i want to buy a new screen with HDMI connection but i don't have the money right now to buy one.

AGAIN THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED, I ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED SOLVED.
HOW DO I UNDO THIS MISTAKE, Could i mod set this as UNSOLVED?

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Well for some reason, when i opened my pc from sleep mode, i noticed that my screen fits perfectly in my monitor now.
so the "fitting in" problem fixed itself apparently. :)

there is however one last problem, which i think had something to do with the resolution problem that i was having.
for some odd reason whenever i try to place icons above my task bar of my laptops desktop, it goes 1 column up of the place i dragged it to. (see pic)

Problem now:

aknT4BG.png

Before i couldn't place anything where the red zone is marked but now i can at least place 2 icons there.
how can i fix this problem

I don't see that as a problem really. Try turning off Auto Arrange in <RC> -> View -> Auto Arrange.

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

first off, thank you for resetting my thread back to unsolved.
second, i find this problem really annoying and i really like to know the cause of it.

i never used auto arrange, i checked and it's off.
if i put it on, the 2 icon's that i managed to place, jump to another place.

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

these are the things i know:
the align with grid option is still on
it's the auto arrange that's off

also interesting to know is, when there is a icon above the red zone i can place one in that zone for some reason.

i don't know for certain, but i think it has something to do with the placing of my screen.
in the option adjust resolution, you'll see 2 screens with nrs 1 and 2, you can move one of them up or down.

long story short i had all these problems (like losing native screen res, ccc option disappeared, etc...) and i tried random stuff.

somehow by placing them perfectly between each other (from under) i could place my icon's again.
then after trying to fix the other stuff (which all failed but now fixed).
the same problem came back only this time i was able to place some icon's in the red zone.

it also might be something totally different.

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

and how do i do that?
where can i change these dpi settings?

QuestinMarks

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

it's at 100% percent i can't go any lower