[SOLVED] Is it possible to remove/replace the CPU power header on my motherboard?

ANDstriker

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Wondering if it's possible to remove and perhaps replace the CPU header on my mobo? Recently had issues with the PSU and it ended up melting the CPU power cable and fused plastic into the header. The PC still works but because of the poor connection it freezes and fails to start up frequently. The header has a couple notches on either side which I think you can push inwards (maybe they're used for pulling it off)?

Pics (excuse the small hands):
http://imgur.com/a/rpA1OdE

SPECS:

MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+;
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Octacore 3.2GHz;
GPU: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GTX 1050 Ti 4GB;
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3;
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+;
STORAGE: 1TB Western-Digital Caviar Green HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Solution
Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to send the board out on RMA after explaining what happened. In fact if the PSU failed during warranty period, the PSU manufacturer should cover the cost of replacement.

If the board is beyond warranty period, you can add the power connector via the help of a certified technician/electrician but I'd be worried if the PSU took out more than itself.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to send the board out on RMA after explaining what happened. In fact if the PSU failed during warranty period, the PSU manufacturer should cover the cost of replacement.

If the board is beyond warranty period, you can add the power connector via the help of a certified technician/electrician but I'd be worried if the PSU took out more than itself.

Solution

ANDstriker

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ANDstriker : "Is it possible to remove/replace the CPU power header on my motherboard?"

Wondering if it's possible to remove and perhaps replace the CPU header on my mobo? Recently had issues with the PSU and it ended up melting the CPU power cable and fused plastic into the header. The PC still works but because of the poor connection it freezes and fails to start up frequently. The header has a couple notches on either side which I think you can push inwards (maybe they're used for pulling it off)?

Pics (excuse the small hands):
http://imgur.com/a/rpA1OdE

SPECS:

MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+;
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Octacore 3.2GHz;
GPU: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GTX 1050 Ti 4GB;
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3;
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+;
STORAGE: 1TB Western-Digital Caviar Green HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

TRENDING THREADS