[SOLVED] Is it possible to remove the keycaps off of a CoolerMaster CK552 keyboard?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I have a CoolerMaster CK552 keyboard that I've owned for about 2 years. It's too noisy for my taste, but there's really nothing I can do about it (sentimental value-related stuff). I actually have two questions :

1. Can I remove the keycaps of the keyboard? Or is it permanently affixed into it? I've lost the box for the keyboard so I don't have the keycap puller (if there's any, I can't remember), in that case can use something else to pull it?
  2. IF the keycaps can be removed, I've heard it's possible to make it more silent by putting o-rings under the keycaps. Is that an effective solution?

I've tried placing the keyboard on a soft foam, which seems to make it a bit more silent, but most of the sound comes from the keys itself anyway so the foam doesn't really get job done. I'd like to try the o-rings stuff if I can.

The keyboard is so loud that I currently use a Chinese internet-cafe class keyboard that I picked up for like 4AUD. It's rough, mushy, feeble, flexes all over, smells weird, works inconsistently, has unclear letters, has a cable that disconnects from the PC at the slightest gust of air, and feels like it's going to split apart at any time, but at least it's not noisy. Subjecting myself to this atrocity of a keyboard when a much better one is available just isn't right.

Thanks in advance. ..

Solution
1| You can use pretty much any keycap puller. Use the one's with trapezoid wires, they tend to add less force on the keycap which most other locking type pullers tend to exert.

2| What switch are you working with? Brown, blue or red? You could desolder every switch and replace them with a keyswitch of your choosing but please be wary that you will need to have some soldering skills, a ventilator/soldering fume extractor, soldering gear and ofc switches.

With regards to your question #2;
View: https://youtu.be/pUxolT8XF5U

Lutfij

Titan
1| You can use pretty much any keycap puller. Use the one's with trapezoid wires, they tend to add less force on the keycap which most other locking type pullers tend to exert.

2| What switch are you working with? Brown, blue or red? You could desolder every switch and replace them with a keyswitch of your choosing but please be wary that you will need to have some soldering skills, a ventilator/soldering fume extractor, soldering gear and ofc switches.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

Thank you for the very quick answer. Good to know the keycaps can be pulled out. I'll order that keycap puller right away.

The keyboard has brown switches. I picked brown asI heard it's the most silent of them all and browns are the best when it comes to typing (so they say). It's the exact same model as the one in the video, down to the switches. I've soldered before, but to be honest I'm not really good at it, I'm more on the clumsy side to be honest, and I can't even trust myself to solder the keys properly. Looks like I'll try the o-rings first, they look cheaper and more foolproof.

Again, thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Reds are silent, Browns are tactile, so the noise is the bump, Blues are clackity clack, they can wake up a dead person, IMHO. You could also grab a syringe of Krytox lube and then lube the stems in the switches but I doubt you'll have the patience to do them all(even the space, enter and backspace).

Welcome!

Do chime back in with a followup, if this thread does end up getting locked, PM and I can shoehorn your followup here.
;)