Is it possible to replace a xbox 360 disk drive?

Shammikit

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hi im having a Xbox 360 phat console and recently the disk drive in the console started making loud noises when reading disks and also it takes a lot of time to read and boot the game. Sometimes my games get stuck and I have also noticed that there are some red lines going on the screen. These red lines only appear few minutes after I play a game.it does not come when im in the dashboard.
I have searched the internet for replacing hard drive because my warranty period is also over. some people say you must swap the circuit board of the disk drive with a new drive of the same brand.some other people say you must extract some sort of key from the Xbox and install it in the disk drive for it to work. I didn’t understand these methods and im not sure whether It will work. I also want to know the cause of those red lines that appear in my screen.is this also caused by my dvd drive? if any of you guys know how to fix my console please help me as this is the only thing I have for gaming.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
It depends on what disc drive you have... In my case, I ordered a new (used/working) drive of the same model from Amazon and swapped the board, no need to extract the security key from the board.

Shammikit

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Im having a Toshiba Samsung drive,will swapping the board work?