Question Is it possible to replace parts of all-in-one watercooling kits?

Jun 13, 2019
I'd like to replace my Noctua NH-U9B SE2 air cooler, that was enough for my seven years old core i7 2600K, but doesn't seem to work well for my new i9 9900KF (core temperature goes up to 85° under heavy load). I don't intend to overclock yet, but maybe later, in a few years, if the need arises (I like to buy good hardware, but keep it many years).

So, I'm looking into watercooling solutions, but I never did that before. I'd be interested for a kit containing everything I need to start, but I don't want to be blocked later, say in 10 years, if I need to change the waterblock for a non-compatible socket, or add a GPU block, etc. Or even just to replace a component in case of failure. I don't want to throw away the whole thing, so I'd like to be able to dismount the tubes to upgrade/repair it. If I understand correctly, this means it should have G1/4 fittings. But all-in-one products usually don't indicate this kind of thing in the descriptions.

Are there "all-in-one" solutions (or at least a complete kit) that have standard fittings? For example, I've seen Alphacool Eissturm Hurricane Copper 45 does, but it seems overkill for my usage (and quite expensive).

Thanks for any pointers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are some. Swiftech H-220X II and H-240X II are basically pre-assembled and pre-filled custom loops. They can be taken apart and drained. But the pump is integrated into the radiator and and you are basically just left with a CPU block when that fails. (I use an older one as the core of my build)

There are quick disconnect expandable loops from brands like EK water blocks. You don't 'have' to put fluid in, but each cooler would be somewhat disposable.

If you want something truly maintainable, you might as well go with a custom loop. WIth a discrete pump, radiator, CPU block, etc, any one component can be replaced at any time.

Expecting any water cooling component to last ten years...not so much. Maybe the radiators if you clean them out regularly. Fittings as well, but greater chances for leaks the more they get pitted and corroded.

Socket compatibility though, AM4 and LGA115x are going to be supported for a long time to come.

Reactions: Durable
Jun 13, 2019
There are some. Swiftech H-220X II and H-240X II are basically pre-assembled and pre-filled custom loops. They can be taken apart and drained. But the pump is integrated into the radiator and and you are basically just left with a CPU block when that fails. (I use an older one as the core of my build)
Thanks for the pointer. Interesting product.

There are quick disconnect expandable loops from brands like EK water blocks. You don't 'have' to put fluid in, but each cooler would be somewhat disposable.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. Is "quick disconnect" another tube connection standard? What do you mean "you don't have to put fluid in", it's how watercooling works, right? Or do you mean they are already filled?

If you want something truly maintainable, you might as well go with a custom loop. WIth a discrete pump, radiator, CPU block, etc, any one component can be replaced at any time.
Sure :) But as a first try, I was looking for something "simple". all-in-one also seem cheaper than buying each component individually. This does stay an option though.

Expecting any water cooling component to last ten years...not so much. Maybe the radiators if you clean them out regularly. Fittings as well, but greater chances for leaks the more they get pitted and corroded.
Thanks for that information, maybe I'm a bit too naive in this project :) That wouldn't be the first time I try to over-engineer something. Maybe I should just stick with air cooling after all.

Socket compatibility though, AM4 and LGA115x are going to be supported for a long time to come.
I was indeed surprised to see my old air cooler was still compatible with the new socket (that didn't exist at the time I bought the cooler).

When looking at the Swiftech H-220X, I stumbled on this review https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/swiftech-h220-x-liquid-cpu-cooler,4156.html What's interesting is that Noctua NH-D15 air cooler has similar performance, and is quieter. So I'm really wondering if I shouldn't just get a better air cooler. Also, I don't know if heat pipes of my old air cooler are still tight, this could explain the bad performances. Don't know how long these can last, and if they loose efficiency over time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Chances of a heat pipe opening up are pretty slim. They are crimped or soldered, or both. Heatpipes usually contain a small droplet of water. I don't think the water can permeate through the copper, but that would be a question for a materials scientist and the individual quality of each heat pipes construction. Radioactive decay will eventually get to it, but that is probably a few million years off. I think most of them are made from copper powder and extruded into shape. Some may be extruded from round stock. I know some have an internal braid in a tube. The key factor is capillary action to return the liquid to the hot points after it has evaporated. They are a neat technology if you want to look into it.

I recall reading that article a long time ago. That testing has a long soak to get both coolers up to temperature, and other factors. So if you weren't running your CPU all the time, the overall effect of the water might be better. But that is the only way to do apples to apples. The Noctua will eventually reach a saturation point, the water cooling system can always be run harder in both pump speed and fan speed to cool more effectively. Trade off is noise.

The old H-220X (240mm) is the smaller version of what I have, the H-240X (280mm). Still no idea why they picked those model numbers...

Basically an Apogee XL CPU block, 240mm brass/copper radiator on that model, and something like 5/8 tubing. On the old one you had to adapt the pump to accept G1/4 as well. The newer ones are all G1/4.

Noctua is well known for their fans, and they make same darn good ones. Swiftech, eh, they were okay, but I haven't used mine in a while. So an interesting test they could have done would be to put the noctua fans on the swiftech radiator. Not really fair since that is quite a bit more expensive still, but it would have been an interesting test.

Noctua heatsinks are basically the best on the market, no denying that, particularly when noise normalized. However, you do have to realize how large that NH-D15 actually is. A huge chunk of metal to have hanging off your motherboard and it will be difficult to maneuver around. On older systems it was often responsible for completely blocking the top PCIe slot. M.2 drives are commonly placed there now, and there is RAM clearance to consider. Certainly want to take it out of the system for any significant move.

The Swiftech has the advantage of being expandable. I am running my GPU, CPU, and two 280mm radiators through mine. And with water cooling the bulky objects will be bolted directly to the chassis with only the weight of the CPU block itself needing to rely on the motherboard/backplate. So little need to worry about transportation.

That said, I have had my Swiftech for about 4 years now. I feel like it is getting a little noisier over time and I will probably have to replace it in a year or so. I would get another swiftech but I don't really like the new reservoir shape. I also haven't used it the entire 4 years and my gaming machine doesn't see as much use as it used to. I have an HTPC I use for media consumption, so my desktop is only on for actual gaming and the occasional work that needs a larger monitor.

I've had my eye on Alphacool's Eisbear products. A bit expensive, but I like the idea of an integrated pump/res/radiator. I don't like seeing every single build having the same tube reservoir on top of a D5 pump.

As for the EK quick disconnect, yes, that is a type of fitting. Originally developed for the medical industry it allows two fluid filled tubes to be disconnected with only a very small to zero loss of liquid. (i'll leave it to your imagination to guess what fluid, also used in space suit water cooling systems) Such components come pre-filled and you only have to disconnect, plug in a component and you are good to go. The problem is fixed tube length and then having to shove the excess somewhere. And the connectors themselves are quite a bit larger than the tube, and are somewhere near one end but not usually on the component. Certainly not as clean looking as hard or soft tubing.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

They sell radiator cores, GPU cores, and CPU cores. They all plug together, minimum you have to buy at least two, and the list of compatible GPUs is somewhat limited.

I believe Alphacool has a similar product lineup for quick disconnects.

If you want cheaper components, EK has an all aluminum line up of water cooling components. Slightly less effective, but still better than air for GPUs. Pump is still pretty expensive if you want a good one. D5 pumps are the popular ones. DDC is the other (what is in the swiftech as I recall)

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/kits

I'm sure there are more products out there. But I only track a few brands. Asia has an entire market segment for water cooling that rarely reaches the West as well. If you want to look at a lot of different parts to get ideas: performance-pcs.com has a lot of water cooling, air cooling, and other silliness available.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
EK has had the Predator series, but that is been discontinued...I have one, they were pretty good units, very similar to the Swiftech H220/240's. I think even Swiftech has discontinued them with new Drive x3 units out and EK now has their .....Phoenix(?) kits like this, but the EK version is more modular at time of purchase where the Swiftech is more a high-end expandable AIO out of the box.

http://site.swiftech.com/drive-x3/

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc/radiator-core-module
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc/cpu-module
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc/gpu-module