[SOLVED] Is it possible to run a 2019 GPU on a 2007 mainboard?

Aug 16, 2019
Hello,
I would want to try to upgrade my really aged system with a new graphics card. So I got this RTX 2060 Super which will not let the system boot up at all. Wondering if there is any possible solution to this, maybe an inofficial BIOS update that would make this magic possible?

System specs:
Motherboard Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q9650
Memory 8 GB
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19301053

Thanks for any help.

Try to update to the latest bios and remove the drivers before installing the new card. You also did not provide us with your psu maybe this is the problem and your psu cant handle this card. Anyway with this cpu will be bottlenecked you maybe see worst performance than your 650 ti.

Aug 16, 2019
I know, well, a friend recommended the RTX said it "should work". So I thought might be a great way to enhance performance without having to cough up the cash for a completely new setup.

PSU is 520W btw. and should be sufficient, as it ran a GTX 780 ti before that had a whoppin power consumption of ~ 250 Watts.

But thank you for your replies, It appears that there might not be a simple (cost saving) solution to this.

Aug 16, 2019
Model name of the PSU?

That would be a high quality "Jersey CP4-520 V.2.0 Rev 01" ;)

Power supply seems good as the card's fans are running and the lights are on as well. System is powered up, too, and monitor (DVI) and TV (HDMI) are connected of course. It just does not even start boot sequence, so I think it really might be a hardware compatibility problem.

Is this your PSU unit, or some other ? Looks like a cheap generic PSU model. Jersey is not a well known PSU brand though....

$_72.JPG
\

$_72.JPG

Aug 16, 2019
It does not, but the card came with a short cable adaptor that connects two 6 pin into one 8 pin. So does that imply that it might just be a power supply problem and really there is a chance that the RTX might work on the old mainboard? That would be great news.

I know, well, a friend recommended the RTX said it "should work". So I thought might be a great way to enhance performance without having to cough up the cash for a completely new setup.

PSU is 520W btw. and should be sufficient, as it ran a GTX 780 ti before that had a whoppin power consumption of ~ 250 Watts.

But thank you for your replies, It appears that there might not be a simple (cost saving) solution to this.

even if it does work you likely will not even get half the performance of that GPU because of how old of that CPU is

for the price of that RTX super GPU you could have built a cheap AMD ryzen 3 computer

Last edited:
Really that q9650 will hold back the 2060 super to the point of making it unreasonable to buy...a much better choice would be to return the 2060 for an amd 570 or nvidia 1060 GPU if you must keep the q9650 in service.

I know exactly how bottle necked the q9650 is because I just took one out of service my son was still using...and I can tell you there are a lot better ways to spend your money than throwing it at a 2060 super that will not be used properly by the q9650.

I would suggest a B450 board paired with a Ryzen 2600, 16 gigs of 3200mhz ram, and the AMD 570 gpu...it will cost you about the same as a 2060 super and completely smoke the q9650.

Reactions: Alecthunder
Hello,
I would want to try to upgrade my really aged system with a new graphics card. So I got this RTX 2060 Super which will not let the system boot up at all. Wondering if there is any possible solution to this, maybe an inofficial BIOS update that would make this magic possible?

System specs:
Motherboard Asus P5N-E SLI
CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q9650
Memory 8 GB
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19301053

Thanks for any help.

Your power supply is really questionable. I doubt it's powerful enough, especially given the age.

You also don't likely don't have a UEFI BIOS. Computer hardware these days can "offload" their drivers into the BIOS so operating systems can start without issues. 10:1 that's your issue.

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
pci is pci, you should not have any problems, my rx 580 works fine in that motherboard, along with my gt 1030 and gtx 1650, which all all fairly new. as long as its pci, you should never have an issue. anyway, for all the people syaing that cpu is bad, it might bottleneck, but that mobo and cpu is a very fun combo. i have taken it to 700 fsb with that motherboard and some nice crucial ram. ended up with 4.9ghz, which works fine for most games still even today.

pci is pci, you should not have any problems, my rx 580 works fine in that motherboard, along with my gt 1030 and gtx 1650, which all all fairly new. as long as its pci, you should never have an issue. anyway, for all the people syaing that cpu is bad, it might bottleneck, but that mobo and cpu is a very fun combo. i have taken it to 700 fsb with that motherboard and some nice crucial ram. ended up with 4.9ghz, which works fine for most games still even today.

GPUs features might or might not work depending on the OS used...there are no Windows 10 drivers available for that motherboard, as is the case in many older motherboards, so the 2060 GPU will work but features like DX12 and others only supported by Win 10 will be unavailable.