Is it possible to run on dual channel mode with triple channel kit?

Aug 22, 2018
Ok... My set up is the following:

CPU: AMD 860K
MotherBoard: A88X G1 Sniper
Ram: 3 x 2GB OCZ Gold 1866mhz, PC15000, 1,65V, CL10 from a triple channel kit

Link for it :https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ3G1866LV6GK-PC3-15000-Triple-Channel/dp/B0026RL6ZI

So... since my motherboard has 4 memmory slots, my question is...
Is it possible for me to run on "double" Dual Channel mode using these 3 ocz ram modules plus 1 other module?

If its possible.. According to my 3 rams, wich ram would you recommend to be the fourth element ?

Solution

I see what you're asking now.

You could try OCZ directly and see if they have a single matching stick with the same speed and timings or you may have to find a single stick (that's faster) and manually downclock it to match the settings of the others in your BIOS. It should work but keep in mind there is no guarantee it will work as a dual channel setup.

You may be better off selling the 3...

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
RAM is extremely finicky and must be bought in sets. Only RAM sticks that are sold together in a kit are guaranteed to work because the manufacturer makes minor adjustments for stability. There are plenty of threads on here with people having issues with RAM not sold in a set.

Aug 22, 2018

Thanks for the fast reply

Is it possible for me to run in double dual channel mode (2x dual channel) with this set up ? Wich ram would you recommend to pair with these Ocz's 1866mhz PC 15000 1.65V CL10 Ram modules?

Aug 22, 2018

Yes I know... I have 3 and I need to have 4 ram sticks... since 3 are the same.. wich one would you reccomend to be the 4th stick to work on dual channel mode?

Aug 22, 2018

The problem is that these RAMS are extremely rare (the 1866mhz version) so I'm looking for a substitute to be the 4th ram on the system and work properly in dual channel mode... any suggestions?

mgallo848

Commendable

I see what you're asking now.

You could try OCZ directly and see if they have a single matching stick with the same speed and timings or you may have to find a single stick (that's faster) and manually downclock it to match the settings of the others in your BIOS. It should work but keep in mind there is no guarantee it will work as a dual channel setup.

You may be better off selling the 3 sticks you have now and replacing them with a dual channel kit so you know for sure it will work.

Solution