Is it possible to run programs/games effectively off an external drive?

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
My laptop that I use for school only has a 512Gb SSD but i also use it for gaming so I must ration space for programs and some games. So I was wondering if there are possibly external drives that are fast enough to run programs off of. I have usb 3.0 ports and a thunderbolt 3/usb c so i was thinning that maybe a thunderbolt drive would be fast enough?

Solution
yes you can! lifetime may vary but it should be ok. You could get yourself a nice 1TB Crucial or Samsung 2.5 in SATA3 SSD and put that in an enclosure! lol, that would rule

dude! Western Digital sells ready made USB 4TB and 8 TB models. I use one for my XBOX One and put all games on it. fast as anything. never a problem. I have the one below. I have over 100 games installed and constantly updating! works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536684817&sr=8-6&keywords=wd+4tb+external+drive&dpID=31BjN66m%252BrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

I have a Razer Blade 14 2017 so I don't believe there's an extra bay. Regardless it would technically void my warranty to replace the drive.

dude, usb 3 is wicked fast. games don't require that much, you can use external drives and run all games off it on consoles too, works GREAT. I use a WD 4TB external for Xbox One and I use a WD something or other, (a server class 7200 RPM drive in a USB 3.0 encloser) on my pc for all data storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Enterprise-Class-Hard-Drive/dp/B01IY9UTMM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1536591652&sr=1-4&keywords=server%2Bhard%2Bdrives&dpID=51PzJ3ULzFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

you get much longer Meantime Between Failures with the server class drives, that's why they cost more, so get a consumer model if you want cheap, but know it can't take the thermal abuse or usage like a server drive can.

that little beast will serve you well, the 4TB i would get so you can put MANY and all games on it

Bengemon825

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
you get much longer Meantime Between Failures with the server class drives, that's why they cost more, so get a consumer model if you want cheap, but know it can't take the thermal abuse or usage like a server drive can.

Could you use a normal desktop hard drive inside an enclosure? They don't run as much as server drives but must have longer life/durability than a dedicated external drive?

yes you can! lifetime may vary but it should be ok. You could get yourself a nice 1TB Crucial or Samsung 2.5 in SATA3 SSD and put that in an enclosure! lol, that would rule

dude! Western Digital sells ready made USB 4TB and 8 TB models. I use one for my XBOX One and put all games on it. fast as anything. never a problem. I have the one below. I have over 100 games installed and constantly updating! works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536684817&sr=8-6&keywords=wd+4tb+external+drive&dpID=31BjN66m%252BrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Solution