Is it possible to set a folder up to decay?

In sales we need to make sure we are getting rid of old information after 30
days. We have so many sales people it is hard to manage. We place our quotes
on a shared file on the server, and then customer service pulls these off as
needed.

Is it possible to have a folder automatically delete the files within that
specific folder for files that are older than 90 days. Or maybe just move
them to a batch folder?

Let me know.

SuperLabel.com wrote:
> In sales we need to make sure we are getting rid of old information after 30
> days. We have so many sales people it is hard to manage. We place our quotes
> on a shared file on the server, and then customer service pulls these off as
> needed.
>
> Is it possible to have a folder automatically delete the files within that
> specific folder for files that are older than 90 days. Or maybe just move
> them to a batch folder?

You could use a scheduled batch job to do the deletions.

Folks over at admin.cmdprompt group could probably whip up a bat file to
delete aged files for certain directories.

SuperLabel.com wrote:

> In sales we need to make sure we are getting rid of old information after 30
> days. We have so many sales people it is hard to manage. We place our quotes
> on a shared file on the server, and then customer service pulls these off as
> needed.
>
> Is it possible to have a folder automatically delete the files within that
> specific folder for files that are older than 90 days. Or maybe just move
> them to a batch folder?
>
> Let me know.
Hi,

In the article below there is a WSH script (vbscript) by Michael Harris
that deletes files that has not been modified in x days old in a
specific folder and all subfolders.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-10-07 08:12:33 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scripting.wsh/msg/14df6623fc552446?dmode=source

You could then put the line below into a scheduled job that runs e.g.
once a day:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Wscript.exe "path to .vbs file"

(change "path to .vbs file" to the actual path/name of your .vbs file)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

What's wrong with disk cleanup. It does 7 days by default if doing the temp but can be changed to do other folders.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\CustomDeleter]
@="{C0E13E61-0CC6-11d1-BBB6-0060978B2AE6}"
"FileList"="*.fred"
"Folder"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,64,00,65,00,73,00,6b,00,74,00,6f,00,70,00,00,\
00
"Flags"=dword:00000000
"LastAccess"=dword:00000002
"StateFlags"=dword:00000001
"Display"="Custom"
"Description"="Clears a custom folder"

Here's one I just made that does *.fred in c:\desktop if more than 2 days since last accessed.
Merge the file then look here in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\CustomDeleter
and alter the path and filetype. Also as the path is an Expand type it's in hex in the regfile and in english in the reg (because regfiles don't support expand so it uses hex). If using environmental variables the data type must be expand.

To use
cleanmgr /sageset:<a number>
and only tick the Customer Deleter
This sets it up

Then to run or schedule
cleanmgr /sagerun:<same number used above>

You can have as many pairs of sageset/run as you want.