[SOLVED] Is it possible to set up raid in this configuration

Nov 24, 2019
When I built my system I got a wd blue 1tb m.2 ssd and a wd blue 1tb 3.5” hdd. If I got another m.2 ssd of the same type and size could I configure them in a raid 0 array and then mirror those to the 3.5” hdd like a raid 1 array? Is that possible? Or would I have to get another hdd and do a raid 10 array? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Right now mine is set up where my os and other read only stuff is on the ssd. Everything else is on the hdd just for longer life of the ssd(so I’ve been told)
SSD lifespan is not really a concern anymore.
After the first gen of consumer grade SSD's, they fixed that real quick.

Current drives have, depending on size and manufacturer, a warranty limit of 150-1000TBW, or some number of years. 5, maybe 10 for expensive pro level dries.
All my SSD's together don't add up to 75TBW. Some of these drives are now 5 years old, been running basically 24/7.

In actual endurance testing, normal consumer SSD's have been tested out to hundreds ot TBW, in a few cases over a petabyte before they died.

These, and yours, will be off warranty...
Nov 24, 2019
Sorry got them mixed up in my head. I’m not trying to gain performance just experimenting. But with the 3 ssds would it be easier and basically the same to run a raid 5 array?

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry got them mixed up in my head. I’m not trying to gain performance just experimenting. But with the 3 ssds would it be easier and basically the same to run a raid 5 array?
1+1+1+RAID 5 = 2TB actual drive space.

Not 'easier' in any definition of the word.
Just have them as individual drives.
1 for the OS and applications, the others for all your personal data, games, other things.

My system has 7x SSD (see below) No RAID in sight.

Nov 24, 2019
Right now mine is set up where my os and other read only stuff is on the ssd. Everything else is on the hdd just for longer life of the ssd(so I’ve been told)

USAFRet

Titan
SSD lifespan is not really a concern anymore.
After the first gen of consumer grade SSD's, they fixed that real quick.

Current drives have, depending on size and manufacturer, a warranty limit of 150-1000TBW, or some number of years. 5, maybe 10 for expensive pro level dries.
All my SSD's together don't add up to 75TBW. Some of these drives are now 5 years old, been running basically 24/7.

In actual endurance testing, normal consumer SSD's have been tested out to hundreds ot TBW, in a few cases over a petabyte before they died.

These, and yours, will be off warranty long before they 'die' from too many write cycles.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For the record, I've not read of anyone in here who went past the warranty TBW on their SSD in normal consumer use.
And especially not anyone whose drive died from too many write cycles.

There have been some that died for other reasons (one of mine included), but none from writing too much.