Question Is it possible to sli gtx 650 2gb with gtx 650 1gb

DSzymborski

Titan
You can, though there's not much purpose. Basically, since multi-GPU solutions have been abandoned for a long time in drivers, it'll basically only be sort of OK in much older things that run in parallel. And those things also can't use much VRAM as both your GTX 650s would have to share 1 GB of VRAM as VRAM in multi-GPU solutions is mirrored, not added.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
No, the vanilla 650 does not support SLI(note the lack of an SLI connector) also a moot point but the cards of that generation required the cards to have the same vram.
MSI GeForce GTX 650 1GB OCV1 (N650-1GD5/OCV1) Graphics Card. I thought it had a sli connector because it looked identical with the 2gb version and that one does have a connector. Does this one have a connector too?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
You can, though there's not much purpose. Basically, since multi-GPU solutions have been abandoned for a long time in drivers, it'll basically only be sort of OK in much older things that run in parallel. And those things also can't use much VRAM as both your GTX 650s would have to share 1 GB of VRAM as VRAM in multi-GPU solutions is mirrored, not added.
So basically it would be the same as just 1 gtx 650 2gb?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Well, the latter is not a realistic goal.

In any case, I don't see the SLI connector on that card anyway, so it's a moot point. If you have one, can you link to an image of your GPU uploaded elsewhere? Maybe you have a 650 Ti.
I dont have an sli connector, I read something that said u dont need a bridge anymore so thats why I asked.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Difference in OS and DirectX. DX11 and prior were SLI/CF based, DX12 is mgpu based. DX12 is native to Win10+. Win10 has no native support for SLI/CF, that's got to be added by drivers and supported by game code.

So you don't need a bridge to run multiple gpus (mgpu) in Win10, but then it doesn't do what SLI/CF does and still needs to be supported by game code, which so far is very sporadic as that adds a high level of complexity to the game code, almost doubling it in size. With most games based on Steam, u-play, Origin etc and downloadable content, adding that much size to a download becomes cost prohibitive to the host. Server time and bandwidth is expensive enough without doubling it so the buyer can get a few more fps.

Reactions: Davidino