[SOLVED] Is it possible to stress test my GPU outside the environment of Windows?

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019
Like the title says, my GPU is giving me a lot of problems, artifacts and crashes always I stress test with any program or game. I've been wondering if it is possible to test the GPU like in a livecd of Linux for example? to exclude any issue related to the operating system, I don't have any other computer (besides a laptop) and didn't want to format all over again... I don't know if there is even a thing like instability of the GPU because something is messed up in Windows... You know where I am going?.. Put this in my head and would like to be relieved.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Why do you think it's the window system that was corrupted and not the gpu?

Did you remove all overclock from your gpu and reset your gpu to stock setting with base clock and do the stress test?

Was your CPU also overclocked? An overclock CPU that is unstable will VERY LIKELY cause crashes in a GPU stress test, even when you're not stressing the CPU. Try to do a factory reset of your BIOS to run at stock clock speed.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, could you get another gpu from somebody (with known working condition, or just order it somewhere that offers free return shipping) and stress test to see if the same problem occurs? If it doesn't, then it must be your old gpu.

Before going thru the hassle, I suggest you do the above first :p

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019

Sadly no one available for that, indeed would be the easy one.
My SSD is kinda full, thats why I asked about the livecd... If a USB pen with Linux installed did the work, would be great.

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Why do you think it's the window system that was corrupted and not the gpu?

Did you remove all overclock from your gpu and reset your gpu to stock setting with base clock and do the stress test?

Was your CPU also overclocked? An overclock CPU that is unstable will VERY LIKELY cause crashes in a GPU stress test, even when you're not stressing the CPU. Try to do a factory reset of your BIOS to run at stock clock speed.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, could you get another gpu from somebody (with known working condition, or just order it somewhere that offers free return shipping) and stress test to see if the same problem occurs? If it doesn't, then it must be your old gpu.

Before going thru the hassle, I suggest you do the above first :p

Solution

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019

Already tested everything at stock, only thing I had was the XMP because of the RAM, CPU and GPU were all stock (GPU overclocked by Asus, but putting the exact original clocks and voltages does nothing), and this was just an wild thought that maybe, maybe, something could be wrong with Windows and so causing all this with the GPU.
I guess that it is very unlikely, and the GPU is just faulty, but still I got curious.
I don't have other computer to test, be it mine or from a friend, and money is short to...
But thanks for the answers, this is still on warranty and I will send it, having 2 GPU's misbehaving one after the other got me crazy.
And btw I stressed virtually everything, and only the GPU goes bad