[SOLVED] Is it possible to transfer all the components dell t1700 sff to a bigger case?

Oct 12, 2019
I have a dell precision t1700. To upgrade the gpu i need a better psu. Can anyone tell that how can i put all the components from that sff to a bigger case.

Solution
What you should be aware of.
  • Storage: SSD, HDD, Optical, &c will all be standard and fit into any case.
  • Cables: You'll undoubtedly need longer SATA cables. Front panel cables in the new case will likely work. But may require some research for the pinout of the Dell if it isn't labeled for lights and switches. Front USB headers should be standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 type headers.
  • Fans: Most cases include fans so no worry there.
  • Heatsink: If the heatsink for the CPU has a built in fan that is fine. If it is one of those Dell arrangement with a shroud and single case mounted fan you'll need a new one.
  • Motherboard: This is the worst part. SFF PC's generally have a proprietary layout. Meaning it most likely will not line up...
What you should be aware of.
  • Storage: SSD, HDD, Optical, &c will all be standard and fit into any case.
  • Cables: You'll undoubtedly need longer SATA cables. Front panel cables in the new case will likely work. But may require some research for the pinout of the Dell if it isn't labeled for lights and switches. Front USB headers should be standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 type headers.
  • Fans: Most cases include fans so no worry there.
  • Heatsink: If the heatsink for the CPU has a built in fan that is fine. If it is one of those Dell arrangement with a shroud and single case mounted fan you'll need a new one.
  • Motherboard: This is the worst part. SFF PC's generally have a proprietary layout. Meaning it most likely will not line up with ATX, mATX, ITX, &c screw placements. This could require custom drilling the backplane of the new case. Which may also require buying aftermarket standoffs with a stud long enough to attach a nut on the back. The standoffs should be the same height as those which came with the case for PCIe slot alignment. There may also be a problem with PCIe slot and I/O port alignment if Dell used custom spacing.

While it is doable. I just wanted you to be aware it may be difficult. I assume costs are a concern. If this is the case. It would make the most sense to get a used motherboard meant for a DIY PC not OEM. Which is compatible with your current CPU and peripherals. Use that for your new case and swap over the easily swappable parts. Then scrap the Dell by selling the remaining parts individually on eBay. You'll probably sell the motherboard and PSU. Maybe some other odds and ends. Most of the remaining parts will likely just end up in the trash. Unfortunately swapping motherboards will most likely make your Windows license useless.

Solution