Question Is it possible to triple-boot Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 10 on the same SSD ?

Dr. Tam

Great
Oct 19, 2023
Hello i have hp compaq 8200 elite sff i7 2600k 24 gb ram and the computer has few ssds installed inside. Most of the ssds are 250gb inside it but i have windows 10 installed on a samsung 870 evo 500gb, i was thinking is it possible to split this ssd to 3 drives and install separately every windows on it? I might even split it to 4 to get vista on it... if possible? I feel like.im wasting ssds for nothing because i physically plug new ssd every time i want to change os and i dont think its ideal.. also i wanted to know if i can make all of the oss to run on IDE mode (win 10 works on ahci on this pc and i dont know if there are any differences but i just want everything to work) also my windows 7 has oem key that i bought online i wanted to know if it will be gone if i make new install or it will remeber my pc? And i was also thinking to clone this win 7 ssd to save the key. Im a little confused and all over the place i would like some assistance. Thanks

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Yes, its possible. I did it some time back with Windows 7, 8, 10 & 11 on the same drive. Me, personally I wouldnt go beyond Windows 7, as there's no point but just for fun. It would also be a bit hard for you to get it to work with older OSes as well.

also my windows 7 has oem key that i bought online i wanted to know if it will be gone if i make new install or it will remeber my pc?
Can't guarantee it. You can extract the OEM key just to be on the safe side. Do so by running the following command;

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
in an administrator CMD (Command Prompt) Window while booted into Windows 7. You'll then get the OEM key, save it.

So,

1) Divide the drive into x partitions where x being the number of OSes you're gonna install.

2) Make sure to make bootable media of the OSes your gonna install. (MAKE SURE THEY CAN BE BOOTED INTO)

3) Start installing the OSes one by one.

TIP: Start off by installing the oldest OSes first in ascending order, so that the boot manager of the newer OS will take over, or else the older boot managers don't look that nice and have some troubles too if you install the newer OSes first.

It's not that hard, you'll have it working in no time.

Read : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-ssd-on-windows-10-in-ide-sata-mode/

Reactions: Unolocogringo

Ralston18

Titan
@Dr.Tam

Before tinkering with multiple boots, drives, etc. be absolutely certain that all important documents and photographs are backed up somewhere away from the system and drives on the intended triple boot system.

At least 2 x copies and do verify that the copies are both recoverable and readable.

All too easy for multiple boot PCs to have some problem(s) crop up and all is lost.

Dr. Tam

Great
Oct 19, 2023
@Dr.Tam

Before tinkering with multiple boots, drives, etc. be absolutely certain that all important documents and photographs are backed up somewhere away from the system and drives on the intended triple boot system.

At least 2 x copies and do verify that the copies are both recoverable and readable.

All too easy for multiple boot PCs to have some problem(s) crop up and all is lost.
I have nothing important on any of these os drives

In that case, absolutely go with VMs.

Much much less hassle.

I use VirtualBox for this.
I would second this.

I run Virtualbox as well with a lot of VM's

Windows 11
Windows 10 off domain
Windows 10 on domain
Windows 7
Windows 7 with rockwell software
Ubuntu
Linux Mint
Kali
UwUntu
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT 5.0
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP

I can easily move them from my work computer to laptop or home computer. The top 5 are more for testing software at work, Linux is to play around with, and the older versions of windows is more of a why not :rofl:

Dr. Tam

Great
Oct 19, 2023
Yes, its possible. I did it some time back with Windows 7, 8, 10 & 11 on the same drive. Me, personally I wouldnt go beyond Windows 7, as there's no point but just for fun. It would also be a bit hard for you to get it to work with older OSes as well.

Can't guarantee it. You can extract the OEM key just to be on the safe side. Do so by running the following command;

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
in an administrator CMD (Command Prompt) Window while booted into Windows 7. You'll then get the OEM key, save it.

So,

1) Divide the drive into x partitions where x being the number of OSes you're gonna install.

2) Make sure to make bootable media of the OSes your gonna install. (MAKE SURE THEY CAN BE BOOTED INTO)

3) Start installing the OSes one by one.

TIP: Start off by installing the oldest OSes first in ascending order, so that the boot manager of the newer OS will take over, or else the older boot managers don't look that nice and have some troubles too if you install the newer OSes first.

It's not that hard, you'll have it working in no time.

Read : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-ssd-on-windows-10-in-ide-sata-mode/
Succses i tried to follow the instructions and i made it iinstalled xp vista 7 10 and 11 (failed) but the others worked on a test dummy hdd it all worked on hp 6200 switching to ide mode in the bios and making 5 partitions on 500gb hdd. The windows 11 gave me error it said it must have gpt partition or something but i dont know if its related to my windows 11 usb or maybe its default requirement for 11?