[SOLVED] Is it possible to upgrade from a mini desktop tower to a gaming tower?

Feb 22, 2022
My current computer is the HP Z220 Convertible Minitower Workstation

These are the current parts inside my PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Video Card: GeForce GT 710
Operating System: Windows 10
RAM: 8.0 GB

I'm trying hard to budget my savings so I can upgrade my computer.

Last edited:
Solution
What do you mean by a "gaming tower"?

If you mean an upgrade to allow better gaming, then you should be able to add a discrete graphics card.
Up to a GTX1650 should be able to run on a minimal psu.

If you mean upgrading to a larger case with good ventilation, then I think that is possible.
If this is your pc, the specs say it has an ATX motherboard:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03364712

Many HP pc's have proprietary power supplies and motherboards so check out the details carefully.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If you really want/need a GAMING rig, there is really no logical reason to put any money or new parts into upgrading that system, because regardless of what you do to it, it's just not gonna cut it.....

However, you could sell it & use the money to buy some more recent and up to update parts for a new machine.

But be forewarned, you will probably need about $1500-2000 USD for the new one, mainly due to the current part prices, mainly for the CPU & GPU, but ram, drives, cases, fans etc are still pretty reasonable...

If you're looking for advice on the new parts, there are tons of folks here who will certainly be able to help with that, but you will need to set a FIRM budget first and go from there :)

I would recommend you play around on www.pcpartpicker.com to get some ideas, which is a good starting point because it shows various stores and also can check for compatibilities on the items you select, and will allow you to print/save your shopping list(s), and even shows what other people spent to build their rigs too !

USAFRet

Titan

So, you need:

New CPU
New motherboard
New RAM
New PSU
New case
New GPU

Hey look...you built a whole new PC! Not an 'upgrade'.

Reactions: coolraveen
What do you mean by a "gaming tower"?

If you mean an upgrade to allow better gaming, then you should be able to add a discrete graphics card.
Up to a GTX1650 should be able to run on a minimal psu.

If you mean upgrading to a larger case with good ventilation, then I think that is possible.
If this is your pc, the specs say it has an ATX motherboard:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03364712

Many HP pc's have proprietary power supplies and motherboards so check out the details carefully.

Solution

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020

900 - 1000, usd 1080p is doable as of now. There is no takers for a 6500xt atleast in my country. So technically if u are going to use a ryzen 55600x and a 6500xt with a pci e 4 mobo a 900 usd pc is possible in my country atleast as of now