[SOLVED] Is it possible to upgrade my prebuilt pc?

Mar 10, 2020
It is a Lenovo legion t530 tower. ive heard from my friends that it possibly is not upgradeable. I searched it up it only came up on norwegian websites so if u dont find it i dont mind sending anything if u need.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 3 GB
Intel® Core™ i5-8400-prosessor
8 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD
if possible i would like to upgrade the graphics card and the cpu.
ik its dumb i shouldnt have bought a prebuilt pc but i was i need of a good pc and was very desperate.

Solution
Yes, an 8400 is an 8th Gen CPU.

In terms of GPU power, a 1060 is a 120W card. The "280w" PSU is for the entire system.
The 1060 has a 6pin PCIe power connector from the PSU (max 75W) and the PCIe slot can provide 75W - so the theoretical maximum supported GPU is 150W.

However, I'd stick to the same power requirements as best as possible.
With a 120W 1060, I'd only consider a 1660 Super or 1660TI as a drop-in replacement.
If you were to upgrade the PSU, then you could put any GPU you wanted in tere.

Yes, the motherboard is upgradeable, but it's not really worth it. While a non-OEM board may be more feature-rich, for what you want, the Lenovo board is fine.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's certainly possible, although you'll probably have power constraints.... maybe even thermals.

The CPU is socketed, and the board should support any 8th Gen or 9th Gen CPU (with a BIOS update) - although this isn't always guaranteed. And definitely stay away from the "K" skus.
Depending on the CPU you opt for, the cooler may not be sufficient -- but upgradeable.

666.jpg

The GPU also, should be an easy upgrade - provided you stay within the same realm of power requirements (~120W)

Looking at that pic though, the PSU should be upgradeable too - so you don't really have any limitations... It's just a matter of whether it's cost effective to upgrade, or if you're better off selling as-is and building something else.

Mar 10, 2020
It's certainly possible, although you'll probably have power constraints.... maybe even thermals.

The CPU is socketed, and the board should support any 8th Gen or 9th Gen CPU (with a BIOS update) - although this isn't always guaranteed. And definitely stay away from the "K" skus.
Depending on the CPU you opt for, the cooler may not be sufficient -- but upgradeable.

666.jpg

The GPU also, should be an easy upgrade - provided you stay within the same realm of power requirements (~120W)

Looking at that pic though, the PSU should be upgradeable too - so you don't really have any limitations... It's just a matter of whether it's cost effective to upgrade, or if you're better off selling as-is and building something else.
The cpu is 8th gen i think. What if i only wanted to upgrade my graphics card, what would the best one be for this pc? the power requirement u were talking about, this one has 280 W. and the motherboard is it upgradeable? I appreciate the help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

In terms of GPU power, a 1060 is a 120W card. The "280w" PSU is for the entire system.
The 1060 has a 6pin PCIe power connector from the PSU (max 75W) and the PCIe slot can provide 75W - so the theoretical maximum supported GPU is 150W.

With a 120W 1060, I'd only consider a 1660 Super or 1660TI as a drop-in replacement.

Yes, the motherboard is upgradeable, but it's not really worth it. While a non-OEM board may be more feature-rich, for what you want, the Lenovo board is fine.

Solution
Mar 10, 2020

I didnt really understand . what do i need to upgrade the psu to, like what should i buy? since u said i could put any gpu in there would a 1070 8gb work? And the ram, there is only a one 8gb in there do i just have to slap another one in? cause there is space for another one i think, it is a ddr4 do i need the same one? Again i appreciate the help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't think the included PSU would have the appropriate number of connectors (IIRC, a 1070 requires an 8pin from the PSU). The PSU you have will almost certainly only have the bare minimum in terms of connectors - those systems are really not designed to be upgraded.

You could add another 1x8GB to the system and it should just work. However, mixing & matching RAM can be problematic in some instances, so the ideal situation would be to replace your 1x8GB with a retail kit of 2x8GB.

Let's take a step back...
  1. What are you trying to achieve with the upgrades?
  2. What is your overall budget? Whether it's strictly for a GPU, or a few different upgrades
  3. Are you opposed to buying used?

Mar 10, 2020
I don't think the included PSU would have the appropriate number of connectors (IIRC, a 1070 requires an 8pin from the PSU). The PSU you have will almost certainly only have the bare minimum in terms of connectors - those systems are really not designed to be upgraded.

You could add another 1x8GB to the system and it should just work. However, mixing & matching RAM can be problematic in some instances, so the ideal situation would be to replace your 1x8GB with a retail kit of 2x8GB.

Let's take a step back...
  1. What are you trying to achieve with the upgrades?
  2. What is your overall budget? Whether it's strictly for a GPU, or a few different upgrades
  3. Are you opposed to buying used?
My pc wont handle the games that i want to play. take the game called my time at portia for example, its simple game it doesnt have that big pc requirements, but still my pc like struggles on it although i had the game on fantastic it wasnt even max, i was at around 50 fps. and it was chopping like it was unplayable. i tried to set the settings down but it was still dropping fps. this doesnt only happen to that game but many others. this made me want to possibly upgrade my pc if i could. I dont really have a budget ill have to save up money to get what i would like, im still 16 so i dont have a job yet. I would like to upgrade the gpu and the ram i mean ill upgrade what is necessary for a better gpu. The only problem to my 1060 rn is its vram it only has 3gb so its not as good as the 6gb one. Ill buy used as long as it works fine.

My pc wont handle the games that i want to play. take the game called my time at portia for example, its simple game it doesnt have that big pc requirements, but still my pc like struggles on it although i had the game on fantastic it wasnt even max, i was at around 50 fps. and it was chopping like it was unplayable. i tried to set the settings down but it was still dropping fps. this doesnt only happen to that game but many others. this made me want to possibly upgrade my pc if i could. I dont really have a budget ill have to save up money to get what i would like, im still 16 so i dont have a job yet. I would like to upgrade the gpu and the ram i mean ill upgrade what is necessary for a better gpu. The only problem to my 1060 rn is its vram it only has 3gb so its not as good as the 6gb one. Ill buy used as long as it works fine.

You issue is not your hardware if the system meets the game requirements. The game you listed can run on a video card half as fast as yours. Is the monitor connected to the video card connection or maybe you have it on the motherboard? You may just need a system restore to factory if you had this system for a bit and was installing software on it, you may have issues there with the system loaded with junk programs.