Is it possible to upgrade SSD without losing old SSD data?

Nov 1, 2018
Hello friends,

I built my first gaming PC about a year ago and since then I've pretty much filled up the 500GB SSD with all my games and I'm about to upgrade to a SSD with more storage.

I've tried looking up the answer to this question but I've only gotten results that are talking about HDD to SSD updates. The answer is probably "no" and I'll have to reinstall them on the new SSD when I install it (annoying and time consuming, but whatever), but I'm just curious to hear the answer at this point. There's not really a downside other than wasting time since most of my games are through Steam and the ones that are not, I can transfer the save data to a USB.

Basically though, I am super new to the whole PC building world and am slowly building up my knowledge so I can be better!

Thanks in advance,
inputUser

Solution
You can clone the old SSD to a new SSD.

The thing is ....some cloning software won't let you expand the partition on the destination SSD......which isn't good because you can't use the extra space on the desitination SSD.

I use Aomei Backupper Pro to do the clone....and this lets you make the destination partition take up all the space on the new drive.

I realize this software cost like $40 from what I recall. Maybe you can find free software that will allow you to do this.
You can clone the old SSD to a new SSD.

The thing is ....some cloning software won't let you expand the partition on the destination SSD......which isn't good because you can't use the extra space on the desitination SSD.

I use Aomei Backupper Pro to do the clone....and this lets you make the destination partition take up all the space on the new drive.

I realize this software cost like $40 from what I recall. Maybe you can find free software that will allow you to do this.

Solution