[SOLVED] Is it possible to upgrade this PC?

Jun 2, 2018
So i have a pre built HP 550-040jp with intel i3 4170 and recently got my hands on an AMD R7 240 2GB, I was thinking about upgrading the PC with it but I don't think its possible with the current setup. It will probably need a bunch of new stuff like maybe a motherboard and definitely a bigger power supply. I wasn't sure so I decided to ask here. If this is possible then what hardware do you guys recommend? I know the PC is pretty old but since the card was free I decided to experiment any way.

Mod Edit for Language :no:

Solution
That's a very low end card, but should be better (perhaps) than the HD graphics.
Most likely it's a low profile card, so it will fit into your chassis. It will also draw all it's power from the PCI-e slot, so your PSU *should* be ok. 180W is on the low side, but those OEM PSUs tend to be pretty efficient.
That's a very low end card, but should be better (perhaps) than the HD graphics.
Most likely it's a low profile card, so it will fit into your chassis. It will also draw all it's power from the PCI-e slot, so your PSU *should* be ok. 180W is on the low side, but those OEM PSUs tend to be pretty efficient.

Solution

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
If your motherboard has a pcie 16 slot available you should be fine. You will just have to download the amd drivers for the card and perhaps enable it if it dosnt automatically come up. It draws 30 w from motherboard so should have enough onboard power to run it. With the card you are effectively doubling your video display power.