[SOLVED] is it possible to use a 8 port switch connected to a ethernet wall plate to connect additional devices?

Feb 21, 2021
I have CAT7 from my WRT wifi router to a RJ45 wall plate on the main level, which is connecting to a wall plate on the 2nd level via CAT7. I tried using a 8-port switch (unmanaged) but I don't get a signal. However, when i remove the switch and connect a device directly to the wall plate i get a ethernet signal and connection. I don't understand what could be the issue.

Solution
I have CAT7 from my WRT wifi router to a RJ45 wall plate on the main level, which is connecting to a wall plate on the 2nd level via CAT7. I tried using a 8-port switch (unmanaged) but I don't get a signal. However, when i remove the switch and connect a device directly to the wall plate i get a ethernet signal and connection. I don't understand what could be the issue.
One possibility is a bad cable. All ethernet ports are not created equal. Some are more tolerant to flat ethernet cables, for example. The other possibility is 100Mbit ports. If you have a 100Mbit "switch to switch" connection, you might need a crossover cable. Not all 100Mbit ports will automatically compensate. ALL 1GE ports are auto-crossover...

kanewolf

Titan
One possibility is a bad cable. All ethernet ports are not created equal. Some are more tolerant to flat ethernet cables, for example. The other possibility is 100Mbit ports. If you have a 100Mbit "switch to switch" connection, you might need a crossover cable. Not all 100Mbit ports will automatically compensate. ALL 1GE ports are auto-crossover enabled.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 21, 2021
The wall plate on the main floor runs to the second level wall plate. so is there a way to detect a signal without it being connected to the router?
I confirmed that I can connect to the printer on the second level, which is connected to that wall plate and produce a printed document. It just when I connect a network switch to the wall plate on the second level i have no signal.

USAFRet

Titan
The wall plate on the main floor runs to the second level wall plate. so is there a way to detect a signal without it being connected to the router?
Systematic troubleshooting.
You have multiple devices and cables.

From end to end:
  1. Router
  2. cable
  3. wall plate
  4. cable (in wall, non-movable)
  5. wall plate
  6. cable
  7. switch
  8. cable
  9. PC

Work from the router, adding things until it fails to work.

From the router direct to the PC, via cable #2, 6, 8 from above.
It works?
Test this with ALL the cables you have. If they all work, proceed on.

Then that router and cable works.
Connect that cable to the wall plate
Add another cable at the other wall, to the PC
It works?

Add the switch, and another cable to the PC
Does it work?

Feb 21, 2021
Systematic troubleshooting.
You have multiple devices and cables.

From end to end:
  1. Router = YES (Active Signal)
  2. cable = YES (Active Signal)
  3. wall plate = YES (Active Signal)
  4. cable (in wall, non-movable) = YES (Active Signal)
  5. wall plate = YES (Active Signal)
  6. cable from = YES (Active Signal) - PC = YES (Active Signal)
  7. cable from wall plate on second level to printer = YES (Active Signal)
  8. fails to work
  9. TP Link / Linksys ES3008 / Linksys Router EA8300 switch = NO (No Active Signal)
  10. cable from wall plate on second level to switch = NO (No Active Signal)
The issue appears to be with the switch or type of switch. Not sure what the next step should be other than overhaul current modular devices to a centralized network; Ubiquiti or pfSense.

Feb 21, 2021
So the "switch" is actually a router being used as a switch? EA8300?

Either it is configured incorrectly or it is faulty.
let me de-clutter my confusion for this thread.
I tried switches from three manufacturers, Linksys ES3008 - 8 port switch, TP Link 8 port switch and attempted to convert Linksys EA8300 Router (second wifi router) as an access point/4 port switch, swapping one device out for the other. The attempt to connect my printer and/or additional laptop to any of these devices and receive a signal proved to be unsuccessful. Next Step - purchase and install a new setup.

Feb 21, 2021

This is, the Linksys EA8300 router does work as expected. I replaced the Linksys EA8300 router with a Linksys WRT 3200AC wifi router, and moved the other router to the second level.
I don't think there is an issue with the Linksys EA83000 wifi router. It could be my "mis-understanding" how to configure a second wifi router.

Feb 21, 2021

The Linksys EA8300 router does work as expected. I replaced the Linksys EA8300 router with a Linksys WRT 3200AC wifi router, and moved the other router to the second level.
I don't think there is an issue with the Linksys EA83000 wifi router. It could be my "mis-understanding" how to configure a second wifi router.

Feb 21, 2021

This is, the Linksys EA8300 router does work as expected. I replaced the Linksys EA8300 router with a Linksys WRT 3200AC wifi router, and moved the other router to the second level.

Feb 21, 2021
Then this leads to something not quite right with the in wall cable or the wall plate.
something not quite right with the wall plate or wall cable? I am able to access the printer connected to the wall plate on the second, which is connected to the router on the main level from my laptop. I printed a single page to confirm the connection. Not sure what the issue is when the switches connected to the wall plate on the second level. When I remove the switch from the wall plate and connect the printer to the wall plate, there is not issue with the connection or signal.

Feb 21, 2021
Further evidence of the inwall cabling or wall port(s) being faulty.
what is it I'm not understanding?
I am able to access the printer connected to the wall plate on the second, which is connected to the router on the main level from my laptop. I printed a single page to confirm the connection. Not sure what the issue is when the switches connected to the wall plate on the second level. When I remove the switch from the wall plate and connect the printer to the wall plate, there is not issue with the connection or signal.

kanewolf

Titan
then I will replace the wire in the wall. BTW the wire is CAT7. Could this be an issue?
There are a lot of cheap fake ethernet wires sold. Cat7 was a failed standard and doesn't really mean anything. Get 100% copper cat5e or cat6a round cable, 22 to 24GA wire. Don't buy "flat" cable. Also get an inexpensive tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM
It will allow you to verify all 8 wires are connected, which can't be done visually.

USAFRet

Titan
what is it I'm not understanding?
I am able to access the printer connected to the wall plate on the second, which is connected to the router on the main level from my laptop. I printed a single page to confirm the connection. Not sure what the issue is when the switches connected to the wall plate on the second level. When I remove the switch from the wall plate and connect the printer to the wall plate, there is not issue with the connection or signal.
A marginal cable might work with Device A, and fail with Device B.

Feb 21, 2021
Thank you everyone who provided input to assist me with my current issue. My next step will be to replace the wiring in the wall with CAT6 or CAT5e cabling.
I appreciate the help and support.
Recai

Feb 21, 2021
One possibility is a bad cable. All ethernet ports are not created equal. Some are more tolerant to flat ethernet cables, for example. The other possibility is 100Mbit ports. If you have a 100Mbit "switch to switch" connection, you might need a crossover cable. Not all 100Mbit ports will automatically compensate. ALL 1GE ports are auto-crossover enabled.
So, it's not as simple running wire and connecting cables. I will also look the the type of wall ports. I may not have used traditional RJ45 wall plates, from Home Depot.