[SOLVED] is it possible to use a 8 port switch connected to a ethernet wall plate to connect additional devices?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 21, 2021
I have CAT7 from my WRT wifi router to a RJ45 wall plate on the main level, which is connecting to a wall plate on the 2nd level via CAT7. I tried using a 8-port switch (unmanaged) but I don't get a signal. However, when i remove the switch and connect a device directly to the wall plate i get a ethernet signal and connection. I don't understand what could be the issue.

Solution
I have CAT7 from my WRT wifi router to a RJ45 wall plate on the main level, which is connecting to a wall plate on the 2nd level via CAT7. I tried using a 8-port switch (unmanaged) but I don't get a signal. However, when i remove the switch and connect a device directly to the wall plate i get a ethernet signal and connection. I don't understand what could be the issue.
One possibility is a bad cable. All ethernet ports are not created equal. Some are more tolerant to flat ethernet cables, for example. The other possibility is 100Mbit ports. If you have a 100Mbit "switch to switch" connection, you might need a crossover cable. Not all 100Mbit ports will automatically compensate. ALL 1GE ports are auto-crossover...
Did you run this wire and terminate it? If not, get the person who did to fix it. It sounds like they didn't follow tia standards properly or didn't properly terminate the wire (both common issues with people who don't really know what they're doing).

The wire is most likely fine and it is the termination that is the problem. Your printer is probably connecting at 100Mbps and the switches will not link with that low of signal levels while the printer might. So the printer working doesn't really mean the cable is wired correctly.

Feb 21, 2021
Did you run this wire and terminate it? If not, get the person who did to fix it. It sounds like they didn't follow tia standards properly or didn't properly terminate the wire (both common issues with people who don't really know what they're doing).

The wire is most likely fine and it is the termination that is the problem. Your printer is probably connecting at 100Mbps and the switches will not link with that low of signal levels while the printer might. So the printer working doesn't really mean the cable is wired correctly.

I understand. yes, I ran the wire and terminated the wire within the wall. I will pul the wire, run a purchased terminated wire to test the connection. if the results are different than what I am currently experiencing, then your assessment will be correct and I will run and terminate a new line. Thanks for the reply.

Did you use punch down wall plate connectors, they are generally much easier to terminate. They sell them at home depot, but the punch down tool and connectors are much cheaper on amazon.

Make sure you follow either the A or B standard. Don't mix the standards by doing A on one end and B on the the other. Just choose a standard and use only that standard for both ends.

Feb 21, 2021
Did you use punch down wall plate connectors, they are generally much easier to terminate. They sell them at home depot, but the punch down tool and connectors are much cheaper on amazon.

Make sure you follow either the A or B standard. Don't mix the standards by doing A on one end and B on the the other. Just choose a standard and use only that standard for both ends.
I purchased a Klein Tools Tester, today. The tester determine there is a short with the cable inside the wall. I did not terminate the ends correctly, as pointed previously by a number of people who reached out to help me. Great tech support here and good people who know their stuff. Thanks again to everyone assisting me.

Feb 21, 2021
I understand. yes, I ran the wire and terminated the wire within the wall. I will pul the wire, run a purchased terminated wire to test the connection. if the results are different than what I am currently experiencing, then your assessment will be correct and I will run and terminate a new line. Thanks for the reply.
I purchased a Klein Tools Tester, today. The tester determine there is a short with the cable inside the wall. I did not terminate the ends correctly, as pointed previously by a number of people who reached out to help me. Great tech support here and good people who know their stuff. Thanks again to everyone assisting me.

Feb 21, 2021
One possibility is a bad cable. All ethernet ports are not created equal. Some are more tolerant to flat ethernet cables, for example. The other possibility is 100Mbit ports. If you have a 100Mbit "switch to switch" connection, you might need a crossover cable. Not all 100Mbit ports will automatically compensate. ALL 1GE ports are auto-crossover enabled.

Feb 21, 2021
A marginal cable might work with Device A, and fail with Device B.

Feb 21, 2021
A marginal cable might work with Device A, and fail with Device B.

Mixing A and B is fine--when you have different standards on each end it's a crossover cable, which will work just fine. :)

Get whoever did the work to come back and fix it. They obviously didn't know what they were doing to pull wire hard enough to break it in the wall. You can't yank on this stuff like it's metal.

Feb 21, 2021
Mixing A and B is fine--when you have different standards on each end it's a crossover cable, which will work just fine. :)

Get whoever did the work to come back and fix it. They obviously didn't know what they were doing to pull wire hard enough to break it in the wall. You can't yank on this stuff like it's metal.
Done! Thanks

Feb 25, 2021
First thing you should do is connect the device to your main router...

My network at home is a mix up of old "trash" and new cheap stuff. It still out performs most people who spend thousands on ubiquity etc because it's setup is correct.

If something fails always learn why and improve your knowledge don't just throw money at it.

Cat 7 is a waste in a home. Most devices still only use 10/100 so cat 5e is usually plenty... But I cable in cat 6 because the extra money is negligible (and it means Poe is better)

Remove the wall plate and make sure they are terminated properly... Cables are fragile. And if not cable tied to the plate can easily break.

Run a loose cable up the stairs between the router and switch (temp)... Does it work?

Don't just assume a cable is good.

Feb 21, 2021
First thing you should do is connect the device to your main router...

My network at home is a mix up of old "trash" and new cheap stuff. It still out performs most people who spend thousands on ubiquity etc because it's setup is correct.

If something fails always learn why and improve your knowledge don't just throw money at it.

Cat 7 is a waste in a home. Most devices still only use 10/100 so cat 5e is usually plenty... But I cable in cat 6 because the extra money is negligible (and it means Poe is better)

Remove the wall plate and make sure they are terminated properly... Cables are fragile. And if not cable tied to the plate can easily break.

Run a loose cable up the stairs between the router and switch (temp)... Does it work?

Don't just assume a cable is good.
Thanks for your reply; i appreciate your comments.
You stated; "Cat 7 is a waste in a home". Too late, already purchased I understand, Cat 7 is useful in Data Centers where higher data demand is a standard. Understood.
I purchased a cable tester which shows there is a "short" with the cable. Will be replacing the cable and terminating correctly at the Keystone Jacks.
Thanks again for you time and comments.

Recai

TRENDING THREADS