Is it possible to use a Core 2 Duo on older socket 775 mb?

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Hi, I have an older motherboard running a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, Prescott on a socket 775 motherboard with a 915G Intel chipset. My motherboard is an Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe.

I heard that Core 2 Duos also use a socket 775 slot, so can I use one on this motherboard?

Also, I hear that Duo core processors true power is only unleashed on programs that take advantage of them. So if I like use lets say a 1.8 ghz Core 2 Duo on software that doesn't take advantage of it then the processor will only be as fast as a 1.8 ghz processor making it slower than my P4 3.0ghz?

Thanks in advance. :)

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi, I have an older motherboard running a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, Prescott on a socket 775 motherboard with a 915G Intel chipset. My motherboard is an Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe.

I heard that Core 2 Duos also use a socket 775 slot, so can I use one on this motherboard?

Also, I hear that Duo core processors true power is only unleashed on programs that take advantage of them. So if I like use lets say a 1.8 ghz Core 2 Duo on software that doesn't take advantage of it then the processor will only be as fast as a 1.8 ghz processor making it slower than my P4 3.0ghz?

No. Intel chipsets 965 or 975 are required for C2D.

edit - clearly there are C2D chipsets from Nvidia and AMD, too.

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Ok thanks a lot. I guess I'll just have to buy a new computer instead of upgrading my motherboard and probably the ram as well just to get a new processor.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Ok thanks a lot. I guess I'll just have to buy a new computer instead of upgrading my motherboard and probably the ram as well just to get a new processor.

You can re-use your RAM. You would need only a new motherboard and CPU.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You cant use a C2D on the 915G chipset. The only intel chipset that will work with the C2Ds are: P965, G965, 975X, and 945X on some mobos.

edit - clearly there are C2D chipsets from Nvidia and AMD, too.

Dont forget VIA!

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well I'm assuming cause my ram is just DDR1 PC 3200 since my motherboard supports both DDR1 and DDR2.

What about getting a P4 3.8 ghz? How does that compare to say a 1.83 ghz Core 2 Duo?

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006

First of all, a core 2 duo at 1.8ghz would smoke a 3ghz p4. Second, you dont need to run mutlithreaded programs to notice a difference from using dual core. System responsiveness will skyrocket and you would be able to multi-task. Third, you would need to get a new mobo scince they do not support fsb 1066. though if you got a E4300 with a fsb 800 you might be able to run it with a bios flash.

(core 2 pwns P4 :twisted: )

EDIT: 3.8ghz P4 = NUCLEAR MELTDOWN!!! 8O

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well yeah I do plan on doing some gaming. The reason why I wanted to upgrade was I noticed Supreme Commander was running kinda slow on my

P4 3.0 ghz
2 gigs RAM
200 gb hard disk
ATI Radeon X600 Pro PCI Express.

That setup does look nice. I totally forgot about the videocard. I hope newer motherboards can use PCI Express cards as well. I hope to upgrade it soon when DirectX 10 games take off though.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Scince you want to do some gaming, I would hold of until Dx10 midrange cards come out. The 8600Ultra looks like it is gonna be a killer with 64 unified shaders. Then you would have to get a PCI-E motherboard which would cost about $100 or more. Stay with the E4300 tho, It's a monster overclocker :wink: .

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Well yeah I do plan on doing some gaming. The reason why I wanted to upgrade was I noticed Supreme Commander was running kinda slow on my

P4 3.0 ghz
2 gigs RAM
200 gb hard disk

That setup does look nice. I totally forgot about the videocard. I hope newer motherboards can use PCI Express cards as well. I hope to upgrade it soon when DirectX 10 games take off though.

Supreme commander is going to run slow on just about ANYTHING. At least on high settings. Seriosuly that games a bit ridiculous on current hardware. here check this article out.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=620

They compared the performance of that game with 8 different cpus (4 amd 4 intel) and 9 mid-high range graphic cards.

a c2d 6300 paired with an 8800 gtx + 2 gigs of ram is only pushing out 24 fps, on LOW, which IMO is barely playable. It's pretty insane what that game requires to run smoothly. Granted they did all they could to push the systems to the limit by eliminating fog of war and such, but I think its a good representation of what you can expect on the larger maps and the bigger multiplayer games.

your best bet is to wait for the dx10 patch to come out and hope things get alot better. Otherwise it's hardly worth upgrading for since you probably wont see a dramatic difference unless you have a ton of cash to spend..

Of course there are plenty of other games out there and upgrading could do alot for your gameplay with them, I just wouldnt do it solely for SC.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006

P4 3.0 ghz
2 gigs RAM
200 gb hard disk

Supreme commander is going to run slow on just about ANYTHING. At least on high settings. Seriosuly that games a bit ridiculous on current hardware. here check this article out.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=620

They compared the performance of that game with 8 different cpus (4 amd 4 intel) and 9 mid-high range graphic cards.

The bottom line is, even to play on medium detail settings you really need a top of the line system to get remotely playable framerates.

If you can already play decently on low settings then Id suggest waiting a bit and saving some cash. you really wont see a huge difference in performance with that game unless you have alot of money to sink into your system.

On the other hand if youre looking for a general upgrade not specifically for this game, then go for it. Youve gotten some good advice on that already. Just dont expect a huge boost in performance in SC.

Upgrading from a x600, he should be able to notice a big difference in performance.

EDIT: You should invest in a x1950pro or a 7600GT to boost your performance. you should notice a big difference in visual quality and FPS.

LordByron

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well the game is playable for me on medium settings and high detail as long as I turn shadows off. But I was kinda hoping to upgrade so I can play it on max, but that article you showed pretty much says that no computer can handle it on max now, so I guess I should wait. Thanks. :)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

no - thats not true os takes advanage of 2 cores

915 chipset will not work

old 775 mobos voltage is not low enough for the thermal control that is useless and you switch off. therefore the mobo makers do not update the bios to accpet C2D since the Vcore is not in spec.

replace your mobo and cpu (C2D) when you boot into windows reinstall the drivrers with mobo cd - i have upgrade a number of computers this way

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006

no - thats not true os takes advanage of 2 cores

915 chipset will not work

old 775 mobos voltage is not low enough for the thermal control that is useless and you switch off. therefore the mobo makers do not update the bios to accpet C2D since the Vcore is not in spec.

replace your mobo and cpu (C2D) when you boot into windows reinstall the drivrers with mobo cd - i have upgrade a number of computers this way

I have done this too, but there is always a share of problems that could arise in doing this. It is best to do a CLEAN INSTALL to ensure system stability especialy if he is overclocking.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
So if I like use lets say a 1.8 ghz Core 2 Duo on software that doesn't take advantage of it then the processor will only be as fast as a 1.8 ghz processor making it slower than my P4 3.0ghz?

Wether both cores are utilized or not, a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo core will smoke any P4 core, period. You can only use clock frequency to differentiate between 2 cores of the same architecture.

Also as another poster mentioned other background processes will be able to use the other core speeding up your main program.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
all true. LordByron, listen to all of us. If you want a much better performing CPU at a good price, Get Core 2 Duo for you will truely never regret it. After reading the review of Supreme Commander, It definatly shows great improvment from getting Core 2 Duo.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
"I have done this too, but there is always a share of problems that could arise in doing this. It is best to do a CLEAN INSTALL to ensure system stability especialy if he is overclocking.[/quote]

yes yes - i would concur - if you critical data do not rely on this method."

I am sitting in room with 3 pc's i have do this too - p2.4 from 2002 mobo upgrade in 2003, raid 0 system with mobo/chip upgrade 3.2c to 560j

and a p5wd2 -e-p/560j to p5w-dh/c2d 6300 in sept

I have not had a problem with any of them?? if you remove the drivers first - and uninstall everything. Then reinstall the new drivers i can not see how it makes a difference. Specially since the os is below the drivers - so the os is the same a fresh install? i think?

Do the drivers and os permanently intermingle?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Scince you want to do some gaming, I would hold of until Dx10 midrange cards come out. The 8600Ultra looks like it is gonna be a killer with 64 unified shaders. Then you would have to get a PCI-E motherboard which would cost about $100 or more. Stay with the E4300 tho, It's a monster overclocker :wink: .

R600 on 65nm in May...maybe...possibly.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Im in the same boat, see my system specs I got "blown" too by the release of core2. I can't upgrade either. If I replace the processor mainboard, memory, and hard drive (to accommodate Vista) and Vista to me that not an upgrade thats a pretty much a new computer. This computer really blows away my old 400Mhz celeron though. I have no problems with video editing either and my brother in laws new core 2 E6400 (2.13Ghz)with vista that he just bought renders a 14 min video 1min and 38sec quicker than mine using the same software I use. (he has the same camcorder I have). Yea its quicker but definately not like the difference between a 400Mhz celeron to a P4 3.2Ghz.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

In the TomsHardware price/performance charts, a Core2duo @ 1.83 ghz is basically tied with the E965 chip (2 x 3.73 ghz) accdross a broad spectum of benchmarks.

If you overclock an E6300 (most will get close to a 100% overclock BTW) an E6300 just absolutely hammers, destroys, humiliates and shames any of the netburst chips. - It ain't even close.

Not quite perfect, but as a rule of thumb, a core2due is twice as fast clock for clock as a netburst chip.