is it possible to use a graphics card without a 6 pin connected to it?

Reignhart

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
i've bought a gtx 660 which requires a 6 pin connector and also a molex but I have a slight problem the graphics card arrives within this week while the molex arrives with the next 2 weeks and I can't help but ask if it is possible to use the 660 without the molex

The graphics card needs the additional power, and no, it won't run without it. Question: what is the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU? If your PSU does not have a PCIe power cable, it may be too old to have enough of its output on +12V for a powerful graphics card, or worse, it is cheap junk that, regardless of the numbers on its label, is not able to put out its claimed wattage. Such PSU-shaped objects also tend to be missing protection circuits (hey, those cost money!), and can kill attached parts when they die.

I'm thinking he's referring to a molex==>PCIe adapter. I'm asking about the PSU, because such adapters are often a Bad Idea.

Reignhart

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

I honestly don't know the model of my psu all I know is that it pumps out 700w the psu is old, and also why is using a molex a "bad idea"?

edit: im getting the 4 pin to 6 pin molex; found out the model it is the Fortress GPL-3CMSE

GPUs that have both a 6 pin PCIe power connector and a 4 pin Molex power connector typically require only one of the two connectors to be populated. The presence of the Molex connector is for use with power supplies that either do not have a 6pin PCIe power connector, or do not have enough of them. This was a common configuration in the early to mid 2000s, but I haven't seen it for a very long time.

The only way to be sure is to plug it in and try it with whatever you happen to be able to connect at the time. If the GPU isn't receiving enough power, it won't boot. However, nothing will be damaged.

Reignhart

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

there will be no unnecessary risk?

what about the molex? is it still a good idea?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Terrible idea. Generally speaking, a PSU that doesn't have a six-pin connector isn't high-enough wattage and/or quality that you'd actually want to be installing a GPU. Molex connectors for high-powered things like GPUs are the common place a fire starts.

What we have so far is an off-brand PSU with unknown actual specs (the total output is essentially meaningless, it's the +12V power that we're interested in) using a molex adapter. There's a lot of unnecessary risk here.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just found another Fortress "700W" PSU.

fortress_700w_psu_st3cmsf_1512222270_0e824244.jpg

Yikes, that's not even a 350W PSU.

I would never use a GPU that requires supplementary power with this power supply. Honestly, I would never use the PSU anyway, but using a GPU is even worse.

Yes, it looks like a low end and low quality unit that one.

'700W' with just 26A on the +12V output?

Oh no!

For comparison, even a low end (but decent quality) '400W' PSU should give you 30A on the +12V output.

This one would do the job and it's only $19.99 at the moment.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-BR-0450-K1

+12V output = 37.5A or 450W.

It has 2 x 8pin (6+2).

Never skimp on your PSU.

Solution