Is it possible to use a JBOD volume in a RAID?

InfiniteTom

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Is it possible to create a JBOD volume using several small HDDs I have laying around (It would be more difficult to organize 5 individual small volume HDDs), than use this single volume (JBOD) in a RAID setup with single HDDs (new 1TB WD RED) for redundancy.

ex: (5x200gb(JBOD) + 1TB WD RED + 1TB WD RED)RAID5

My concern is if I organize my HDDs in JBOD I can potentially lose all my data, all in the name of organization. However if I could protect myself with a RAID setup this would provide the best of both worlds (also I am a cheapskate and would hate to waste the old HDDs I have)

Solution
You're referring to using the JBOD as if it's a single RAID 5 member I presume from what you're saying. I don't think it's a good idea at all, however here's the only way I could see it possibly even done. You'd need a separate RAID control card for the JBOD, then you'd have to do a software RAID 5 (which rules out using it as an OS drive). However that's quite a hack setup, and likely to lead to serious problems.

Also you should know that RAID is not (I REPEAT IS NOT!!!) the same as having a backup. RAID arrays can and do fail every day, in fact I'm working on recovering data from two failed RAID arrays today. What happens if the data is deleted, or hit by a crypt-o-virus? RAID won't save you then. Stop being cheap, buy a larger...

JaredDM

Honorable
You're referring to using the JBOD as if it's a single RAID 5 member I presume from what you're saying. I don't think it's a good idea at all, however here's the only way I could see it possibly even done. You'd need a separate RAID control card for the JBOD, then you'd have to do a software RAID 5 (which rules out using it as an OS drive). However that's quite a hack setup, and likely to lead to serious problems.

Also you should know that RAID is not (I REPEAT IS NOT!!!) the same as having a backup. RAID arrays can and do fail every day, in fact I'm working on recovering data from two failed RAID arrays today. What happens if the data is deleted, or hit by a crypt-o-virus? RAID won't save you then. Stop being cheap, buy a larger drive and then backup your important data to a separate drive.

Solution