[SOLVED] Is it possible to use an amd apu to run one monitor whilst using an old graphics card to run a second screen.?

Sep 7, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a Ryzen 5 3400g APU placed on a MSI x570 gaming pro carbon. I would like to run two monitors. Since my Motherboard has only one hdmi port this is a problem. However, I have an old crappy graphics card.. If insert this will I be able to use this for the second screen whilst still using the apu for the main monitor? If so how would I go about setting it up?

Many thanks!!
Chris

Solution
Yes, that motherboard allows you to set the IGP to stay on when a discrete card is installed.

In the BIOS under Integrated Graphics Configuration you would set Integrated Graphics to "Force" and then set Initiate Video Adapter to "IGD" so the IGP will be the primary adapter.
Yes, that motherboard allows you to set the IGP to stay on when a discrete card is installed.

In the BIOS under Integrated Graphics Configuration you would set Integrated Graphics to "Force" and then set Initiate Video Adapter to "IGD" so the IGP will be the primary adapter.

Reactions: Chris_hippo
Solution
Sep 7, 2019

Thanks,

I have set these settings and it's still trying to use graphics card as primary. In fact it's not even using the screen which is plugged in to mobo :/