Is it possible to use core i5 processor on a core 2 duo desktop

Heavy Pootis

Reputable
Feb 24, 2017
Hey Guys,

I have a broken laptop so I want to use my Core i5 processor instead of my Core 2 duo so can you tell me please if it is possible to use a core i5 processor on a core 2 duo desktop computer. If its not possible to use then explain me the reason and also can I use two different processor on dual cpu motherboard.

Solution
You cannot. First, you cannot simply chuck a laptop CPU into a desktop motherboard. Second, even if you could, there is no Core i5 processor that shares a socket with any Core 2 processor.

As for dual CPU motherboards, you can mix processor types, but they have to have the same TDP and the same number of corse for it to even be a possibility. If your idea is to put a core i5 processor from a laptop and a core2duo processor from your desktop into the same motherboard, then no, that's not happening in this lifetime or the next.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You cannot. First, you cannot simply chuck a laptop CPU into a desktop motherboard. Second, even if you could, there is no Core i5 processor that shares a socket with any Core 2 processor.

As for dual CPU motherboards, you can mix processor types, but they have to have the same TDP and the same number of corse for it to even be a possibility. If your idea is to put a core i5 processor from a laptop and a core2duo processor from your desktop into the same motherboard, then no, that's not happening in this lifetime or the next.

Solution