Is it possible to use more than one wifi network on my win10 laptop?

ruesterprod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
I end up in many places where there's a bunch of strong wifi networks nearby... is it possible for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P55T-b5262) to use more than just one network to combine the speeds into one super pipeline??

I'm hoping for free software to accomplish this, but I know very little about networking like this, so any answer, the simpler, the better, would be appreciated!!

[PLS DON'T POST WITH JUDGEMENTS OR OPINIONS ABOUT THE USE OF SUCH A THING IRL, PLS JUST ANSWER, I'M CURIOUS]

Solution
Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? Not really.

What you're describing is called channel bonding. It requires software on your end, and similar software on a server elsewhere on the Internet. Then you run what for all practical purposes is a VPN to that server. Except the VPN software is configured to use the multiple network connections together for increased bandwidth and reliability. The server's IP address becomes your computer's Internet IP address. Each network adapter having a different IP address doesn't matter because the VPN traffic is layered on top of them.

The server requirement makes this impractical for the vast majority of people. Usually it's set up by ISPs when, say, you request a 50 Mbps Internet...

USAFRet

Titan

No, it doesn't work like that.
If it were easy, we'd all do it.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't.
Each of those WiFi sources would provide a different IP address.

Anything you would connect to would only see one.
You can't tell some website or game to Send to one IP address and Receive on another.

Does not work like that.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? Not really.

What you're describing is called channel bonding. It requires software on your end, and similar software on a server elsewhere on the Internet. Then you run what for all practical purposes is a VPN to that server. Except the VPN software is configured to use the multiple network connections together for increased bandwidth and reliability. The server's IP address becomes your computer's Internet IP address. Each network adapter having a different IP address doesn't matter because the VPN traffic is layered on top of them.

The server requirement makes this impractical for the vast majority of people. Usually it's set up by ISPs when, say, you request a 50 Mbps Internet connection and the fastest they can provide is 20 Mbps over a single DSL line. They'll install 3 DSL lines, then bond them together to get you a max 60 Mbps. It's also used internally within a LAN, if you want two devices to communicate faster than your LAN's speed (e.g. your computer and server could communicate via two ethernet devices each at 2 Gbps over a Gigabit network). Even if you do set it up yourself, most people set it up on a computer acting as a router so that the increased bandwidth can be shared with multiple devices, not just a single computer.

The software to do this is free, but if you don't know much about networking it's going to be indecipherable to you. But if you do set it up, and you have some sort of server you're paying for where you're free to configure its network as you see fit, you could conceivably set it up so you could connect your laptop via ethernet, WiFi, and a USB WiFi device to different networks, and bond the connections together to get a faster connection to your server. (I'm glossing over some of the pitfalls, like load balancing and timeouts due to the channels having different speeds.)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt

Solution

TRENDING THREADS