Question Is it possible to use non-AM4 coolers with AM4 motherboards?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I love good air cooling so I need a lot of radiating area. LGA775 coolers are pretty much worthless these days so I was wondering if its possible to jerryrig one to fit an AM4 board. I don't mind grinding and drilling a bit. Is there any hope for this or are they just too different? I would be using the board on a horizontal surface so it doesn't have to be lashed down tight.

Not worth it if it's not some really good aftermarket cooler and depending on cooler you would have to fabricate some adapter to fit both, cooler and AM4 socket. Only good part is that AM4 MBs come with a backplate. If you are thinking about OEM 775 cooler, just forget it, it will never be good enough.
PS.
It has to be fastened good because it's essential to put enough pressure on the CPU for better cooling.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i used a stock am3 cpu cooler on a graphics card, so it probably can be fitted on lga775 too
You your self will have to figure out how to attach it and have in mind that it can damage your components too.
if you need to buy new cooler then go with compatible one else if it's lying around then it depends on your skills and the tolerances you need to install the cooler

TRENDING THREADS