Is it possible (without consequences?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj1d

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello
my first post at this site, actually i created my account exclusively to get answer to my question here mentioned.
I pored over google for hours and couldn't find any answer suiting my query.

My question is,

Can i USE two hard-drives , One is old segate IDE (80 GB) of which my windows (7) has been warning me from some time to this effect " Your hard-drive may fail soon and backup your data etc. ) I fear that there really was something wrong with that drive and sometimes it would produce that certain clicking noises that experts refer to as the potential death of hard-drive.

Now recently i have purchased a 250 GB SATA drive , but i had a valuable books collection in my older hard drive. PLEASE don't suggest copying that from my old hard drive to a newer one .
The Reason I am here is to ask that is it possible that i can use both the drives without any possible consequence. I have a suspicion (with no logical support) that if i use both the drives , my new drive could be affected in some that is to say adversely , is it possible that whatever malfunction may it be of hardware nature or of software, could transfer or rather extend from my older hard-disk to new hard drive (like an infection haha !!).

I really need an expert's opinion here to put my mind at rest before i dare to do such a thing aforementioned.Am looking forward for a speedy response. Any Help will be extremely appreciated.
Thank you and forgive my mistakes if i have made any :)

Solution
My advice would be to get the data off that drive and backed up now -- Windows warned you and you heard the clicking that indicates imminent drive failure. It is a mechanical drive issue and will not affect the other drive's mechanical function.

If you don't want to copy your data to the new drive, then copy it to CDs and/or DVDs before it is lost when the drive totally fails. Only then would I recommend that you continue to use the drive until it dies, which could occur any time.

RealBeast

Titan
My advice would be to get the data off that drive and backed up now -- Windows warned you and you heard the clicking that indicates imminent drive failure. It is a mechanical drive issue and will not affect the other drive's mechanical function.

If you don't want to copy your data to the new drive, then copy it to CDs and/or DVDs before it is lost when the drive totally fails. Only then would I recommend that you continue to use the drive until it dies, which could occur any time.

Solution

Maj1d

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

I'm highly obliged to you sir.
you have put my mind at rest. at last i can use my old but beloved hard drive without forebodings :D
not to mention stomach grumblings lest any harm should befall on my dearest 250 Gb friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.