Is it possible?

iHaveNoParts

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Is it possible to install windows 8.1 with a usb on a new and built pc? I asked my friend and he said that it is not possible to install windows with a usb flash drive on a newly built pc. I really didn't believe him so I will need your help.

Specs:
i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad Core (4 Cores 8 Threads Good for Gaming)
Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Not overclocking but keep this under 60 degrees)
ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB
Raidmax ATX-402WB ATX Mid Tower Case
Apevia 700W ATX Power Supply (Not the best but does the job and I will upgrade to a be quiet psu or corsair gs)

Solution
If you are installing FROM the usb drive, then yes it's possible, so long as the usb drive is set up correctly in the first place so it's bootable.

Just out of curiosity, what was your friends reasoning behind not being able to install windows from a usb drive on a new pc?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
If you are installing FROM the usb drive, then yes it's possible, so long as the usb drive is set up correctly in the first place so it's bootable.

Just out of curiosity, what was your friends reasoning behind not being able to install windows from a usb drive on a new pc?

Solution

iHaveNoParts

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Thank you very much! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Now I don't need to pay an extra $100 on my pc build! :)