Is it RAM problem?

ChrisTsang

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
My computer perform strange for quite some time, about a month ago my computer reboot frequently, afterwards I have replace the Power box and solve the reboot problem. Now it is another nightmare, HANGUP - 10 min, 1 hour, or even 2 min will hang. Not sure what is the root cause.

My system is AMD 1.2G Athlon, 256MB ram, 40GHD, etc., no hardware or configuration change for long time, and I am using Win98.

Is it possible be the RAM problem?

If anyone know the reason why please let me know, thanks a lot.

ChrisTsang

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
It happen randomly, I tried to remove some compoent to identify the root cause but no use, sound card, CD rom, harddisk..etc..no difference when plug or unplug..so I suspect it is either RAM, motherboard or CPU..

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Free memory testing utility: <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">Memtest86</A>

It's a bootable floppy that runs purely from DOS. Make sure to read the directions, and to check one stick of memory at a time (if applicable).

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - Host fixed network problems; I'm back up

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
find, download and run MEMTEST86 to diagnose any memory problems.
find, download and run Motherboard monitor (MBM) to watch your voltages. fluctuating/dropping voltages indicates a poor power supply.
find, download and run PRIME95 to stress test your cpu, prime95 is good as it both heats up the cpu, and checks to see if its calculating right or not.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Just a note about memory testing.. I had a stick that passed all tests but still caused my computer to die about once a day (a sudden reboot). Replacing the stick fo ram fixed the problem.

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda</b></font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possibly a motherboard problem. You should try the memory first, then try putting all the parts in another system. I had a problem like that once, turned out to be the chipset.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

8235k8hta

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
it's becuase of your OS (win98). slight j/k...

a random hang-up is due to memory, often.
if the ram is overclocked, set it to SPD bios settings then re-test your comp.

sturm

Splendid
have u tried a different cpu? a friends computer was rebooting and hanging alot, replaced the cpu with a different one and all his problems went away. just a thought.

G

I had a simular experience just last month, after many many hours of swapping out components etc I found by cleaning then reseating the ram and trying them in different slots it improved. I also found after all the weeks of cold shutdowns and lockups my operating system was buggered and had to be reinstalled.
Things I looked at were: dirty power, CPU, Bios, hard drives, AGP card, certain programs on start-up, mainboard jumper setup, ram, op/sys', and my brain. :frown: Basically every piece of hardware was under the microscope to find out it was as simple as reseating the memory modules. Oh well live and learn.
All seems to have stabilized now, and my hair has a chance to grow back! :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A>