Question Is it really necessary to update Win7 to current to upgrade to Win 10?

Feb 22, 2019
I have various Windows 7 computers that were last updated perhaps in 2016, so obviously they don't have the latest Win 7 updates, including the latest updates for programs like Firefox and Thunderbird. If I'm upgrading to Win 10, does it really make a difference if Win7 and all programs are updated to the lastest versions, as Win10 will be the latest version anyway. I don't intend to revert back to Win7 as change is inevitable. I am also uninstalling the outdated Internet security program prior to the Win10 upgrade. Any opinions on this would be helpful -- especially from those of you who have tried upgrading without updating Win7 first. Thank you!

Is not necessary.
When you start the upgrade process Windows 10 installer will run a check of your system and download and install required updates.
You will have the choice to stop the upgrade or continue.
Make sure to uninstall any antivirus you may have running since it could interfere with the setup.
If you encounter any issues, be prepared to perform a clean Windows 10 installation.

If you have a OEM computer and you have plans to go back to Windows 7, create a backup or recovery media, since Windows 10 upgrade will overwrite the restore partition.

Feb 22, 2019
Is not necessary.
When you start the upgrade process Windows 10 installer will run a check of your system and download and install required updates.
You will have the choice to stop the upgrade or continue.
Make sure to uninstall any antivirus you may have running since it could interfere with the setup.
If you encounter any issues, be prepared to perform a clean Windows 10 installation.

If you have a OEM computer and you have plans to go back to Windows 7, create a backup or recovery media, since Windows 10 upgrade will overwrite the restore partition.
Thank you! When you say "Windows 10 installer will run a check of your system and download and install required updates" does that mean it merely downloads and attempts to install the approx. 140 updates since 2016-current to bring Win 7 up to date, or does it just install necessary required updates in order to upgrade to Win 10? Thanks again for your expertise!

"especially from those of you who have tried upgrading without updating Win7 first "

I'm assuming you're asking about the 'free' upgrade' that still works? I've upgraded a lot of laptops from win7 ultimate to win10 pro. I always had trouble when Win7 wasn't up-to-date. I don't even try anymore without fully updating Win7.